Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
I'm very interested in getting a 27" 2011 refurb off of Apple's website. I ordered one the other day, but called shortly (hours) after and returned it; I have decided to wait until after the new machine has come out. It was too late; it's coming in the mail anyway on Friday, ha. I'll be shipping it back.

Do any of you know if the prices will drop on the refurbs once the 2012s are physically available? Will they start stocking newer models (newer than May 2011)? I am very inexperienced with the refurb store.

Another unrelated question: Will the refurbs still have the harddrive issues, or can I assume that the affected ones would be replaced? And I assume they are still susceptible to the dust/condensation screen problems, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
I wondered this as well. But also thought about how quick they'll go if the price does drop. I mean, I suppose you could look at the iPad and iPod touches as an example. They're selling previous generations at a discounted price. But I wouldn't count on them sticking around for very long. I bit the bullet and purchased a 27" i7 tonight

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Will prices drop in the refurb store once the new 2012 model is on the shelves?"

Probably. Likely.

BUT...

They won't drop UNTIL that time arrives, because as of right now, "refurbished" is the ONLY product that Apple has to sell, insofar as iMacs are concerned....

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Because of the delay of months in having any new iMacs in the store, there will probably be precious few 2011 refurbs, which also explains the recent price rise in the refurbished iMacs.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
They already have in Canada. Refurbs normally sell for 17-18% off. Now they're up to 20% off.

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Because of the delay of months in having any new iMacs in the store, there will probably be precious few 2011 refurbs, which also explains the recent price rise in the refurbished iMacs.

That's a good point. Maybe I should just keep it when it comes tomorrow. :V

They already have in Canada. Refurbs normally sell for 17-18% off. Now they're up to 20% off.

Oh, I thought that depended on the model; I've seen both of those percentages I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.