Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halfpint89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Hey all, I just got myself a mac and I have command and conquer first decade and want to be able to play it. I have created a virtual windows 7 using VMWare and I have installed the game but it's not loading for me to play? I either get a directX error (generals) or a FATAl error (red alert 2).

Any suggestions (in as lame mans as possible)

Cheers

halfpint89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Error update

Just an update the errors are:

"***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initialise properly"

"Please make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements"

----------

Yeah I've heard of boot camp but people seem to be able to do it using VMWare without much difficulty and I already have it all installed and set up so ideally I would prefer a solution.

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
A lot of people are going to tell you not to bother with a VM. Ignore them. If that's the way you want to do it, do it. Depending on the game, I personally use a mix of Boot Camp, Wine and Parallels VM, so I'm a big believer in using the tool thats fits the job best.

As I said, I use Parallels, not VMWare, so I can't say for sure. Do you have VMWare's 'additions' installed (I think they call them VMWare Tools maybe)? Their own drivers that you install to integrate Windows with Mac OS. These are usually required for any type on 3D gaming on a VM.

Don't give up. I can get C&C First Decade running great with Parallels. You should be able to do the same.

----------

Another thought is that you are trying to play First Decade on Windows 7. Most won't run properly on anything higher than XP without some tweaking.

For RA2, you'll want to run in XP compatibility mode, and Run as Administrator. This may work for the others too.

halfpint89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
I didn't hang about while the vm was being created so didn't check to see if the tools were installed... in my virtual machine drop down menu the "install VMware tools" is greyed out which I've been lead to believe means it's not installed... so not sure how to do that. Also tried the administrator thing for RA2 and got the game to run but with no graphics which further leads me to the above conclusion.

----------

wait got tools installed standby for update haha

----------

that seems to have done the trick haha... feel a bit silly now. cheers for the help though

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I didn't hang about while the vm was being created so didn't check to see if the tools were installed... in my virtual machine drop down menu the "install VMware tools" is greyed out which I've been lead to believe means it's not installed... so not sure how to do that. Also tried the administrator thing for RA2 and got the game to run but with no graphics which further leads me to the above conclusion.

----------

----------

that seems to have done the trick haha... feel a bit silly now. cheers for the help though

Ah nvm, it's sorted.

Last edited:

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010

----------

----------

Glad that sorted it out for you. Hopefully all First Decade is running fine now. Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.