Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Darn it Apple! Make the male Lighting to female 30 pin cable right

I don't mean the adapter but the new female 30 pin to male Lighting connector cable. The Lighting side is FATTER than the apple supplied Lighting power cable so it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case! It would have solved my car connector problem.

How hard would have been to make it the same. The adapter I can understand. But not the cable.

I guess Apple doesn't wish us to use cases. I just returned it. Even the Apple guy thought it was stupid.
viewfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfly View Post
I don't mean the adapter but the new female 30 pin to male Lighting connector cable. The Lighting side is FATTER than the apple supplied Lighting power cable so it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case! It would have solved my car connector problem.

How hard would have been to make it the same. The adapter I can understand. But not the cable.

I guess Apple doesn't wish us to use cases. I just returned it. Even the Apple guy thought it was stupid.
Yes sir, had this problem myself. I had to shave off a bit to make it fit.

Elegant? Not exactly, but it functions.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Jlrera
macrumors member

Same problem, I ended up using a Dermal to sand it down.
Jlrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The regular lighting cable bulges the first switch easy cases.

Switch easy needs to follow the accessories blueprint specs and measurements posted.
NOT the other way around.
noteple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noteple View Post
The regular lighting cable bulges the first switch easy cases.

Switch easy needs to follow the accessories blueprint specs and measurements posted.
NOT the other way around.
No i disagree. My original lighting USB cable fits fine, but the Apple 30 pin one is way off.

Last edited by viewfly; Nov 3, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:11 AM   #6
bushman4
macrumors 6502a

30 pin to lightning adaptor is to short to use on your iphone5 if you are using a case, any case . the lightning prong needs to be longer.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:07 AM   #7
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Yes sir, had this problem myself. I had to shave off a bit to make it fit.

Elegant? Not exactly, but it functions.
I finally gave in and uses100 grit sandwich and did it by hand. Didn't take much but apple could have done a better job here
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:12 AM   #8
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I finally gave in and uses100 grit sandwich and did it by hand. Didn't take much but apple could have done a better job here
It's not Apples fault, it's the case manufacturer.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:18 AM   #9
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

I've always wondered why case manufacturers make the charging port area size limited. I'm sure they can do something to allow more room so that any cable can plug into it without any trouble or modification.

I have the 30-pin to Lightning adapter attached to dock and I wish it was a little "shorter." It's so tall that it makes it look like my phone won't have the back support of the case, but I got lucky and about 1/4" was still below the back, so the back support is still there. However, it is a little uneven in weight, one slight push forward and it falls back. But, everything still works. And it's great that the lightning comes off a lot easier than the 30-pin so I don't have to keep plugging it in.

Last edited by thatoneguy82; Nov 5, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:01 AM   #10
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case! It would have solved my car connector problem.
Not trying to be snarky here, but how is it Apples fault that the SwitchEasy Tones case doesnt match up size wise? Wouldn't that be the case makers fault?

Apple designs fit their own requirements, not some case manufacturers size. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying though.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:22 AM   #11
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't mean the adapter but the new female 30 pin to male Lighting connector cable. The Lighting side is FATTER than the apple supplied Lighting power cable so it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case!
Fits my wife's case just fine. Tell your case maker to make their case properly.
takeshi74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:23 AM   #12
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sou1 so1di3r
fits in my $2 bumper case from China fine

case failure
sou1 so1di3r is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:27 AM   #13
AppleZombie
macrumors member

That's what happens when you dont wait to have the product in your hand before designing something for it. Not Apples fault.
AppleZombie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #14
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah239 View Post
It's not Apples fault, it's the case manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
Not trying to be snarky here, but how is it Apples fault that the SwitchEasy Tones case doesnt match up size wise? Wouldn't that be the case makers fault?

Apple designs fit their own requirements, not some case manufacturers size. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Fits my wife's case just fine. Tell your case maker to make their case properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sou1 so1di3r View Post
fits in my $2 bumper case from China fine

case failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZombie View Post
That's what happens when you dont wait to have the product in your hand before designing something for it. Not Apples fault.
I disagree for this situation. The USB Lightning Connector that comes in the box with the iPhone 5..fits the SwitchEasy case perfectly.

However, the 0.2 meter long 30 pin to Lightning cable connector (here), not adapter, does not.

I'm not talking about the adapter (adapter). Yea, the adapter doesn't fit either, but for different reasons. I assumed, that is why Apple made the cable version, since people would have the same Apple standard size Lightning end...instead Apple made it too thick.

The 30pin/Lightning cable is about 50% thicker, than the USB/Lightning cable. Why should a case manufacturer be blame for Apple not sticking to its in the box standard? In the past, I generally agree, that case makers should allow more room, because most 3rd party 30 pin producers make their knock off too thick!!! You know the iSimples and other car accessories.

But this time, it's not the 3rd party producers that make a thicker connector...its Apple.

That is not the case makers fault.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

There's many many case manufacturers and hundreds of different cases.
You really think Apple will sit there and test all their accessories to make sure they fit every single case? Its the other way around.
The case companies should make sure everything works and plugs in and out with their case on.
Not that hard to comprehent.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:39 PM   #16
isoft7
macrumors 6502a

It's getting so you just can't pay a Chinese man twenty cents a day and get quality products!!!
isoft7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
There's many many case manufacturers and hundreds of different cases.
You really think Apple will sit there and test all their accessories to make sure they fit every single case? Its the other way around.
The case companies should make sure everything works and plugs in and out with their case on.
Not that hard to comprehent.
Well I do comprehend that you don't get it. Every case that I have owned, maybe 20 or more fits the Apple made standard 30pin USB cable.

Apple changed the standard 30 pin female to Lightning cable. It's different than apples own Lightning standard.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #18
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I disagree for this situation. The USB Lightning Connector that comes in the box with the iPhone 5..fits the SwitchEasy case perfectly.

However, the 0.2 meter long 30 pin to Lightning cable connector (here), not adapter, does not.

I'm not talking about the adapter (adapter). Yea, the adapter doesn't fit either, but for different reasons. I assumed, that is why Apple made the cable version, since people would have the same Apple standard size Lightning end...instead Apple made it too thick.

The 30pin/Lightning cable is about 50% thicker, than the USB/Lightning cable. Why should a case manufacturer be blame for Apple not sticking to its in the box standard? In the past, I generally agree, that case makers should allow more room, because most 3rd party 30 pin producers make their knock off too thick!!! You know the iSimples and other car accessories.

But this time, it's not the 3rd party producers that make a thicker connector...its Apple.

That is not the case makers fault.
Well Apple made the lightning to 30-pin adaptor before the case makers made the case. So it is the case makers fault.

If the case maker would have made sure ALL the Apple first party cables fit before shipping the cases out this thread wouldn't exist. There is a reason the 30-pin adaptor is fatter then the lightning cable or apple would have made them the same size.

Case makers fault no mater how you look at it.

Last edited by jeremiah239; Nov 5, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
jeremiah239 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:49 PM   #19
iapplelove
Banned

Who uses a case anyway besides my mom and sister?
iapplelove is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:51 PM   #20
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Who uses a case anyway besides my mom and sister?
Seriously grow balls and use it naked like a man!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Well I do comprehend that you don't get it. Every case that I have owned, maybe 20 or more fits the Apple made standard 30pin USB cable.

Apple changed the standard 30 pin female to Lightning cable. It's different than apples own Lightning standard.
Ok it's Apples fault.
They should make their cables compatible with your 20 or more cases
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 PM   #22
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There is a reason the 30-pin adaptor is fatter then the lightning cable or apple would have made them the same size.
Well that is the seriously question. Given that it is the same number of wires for each, why does it to be fatter?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:20 PM   #23
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well that is the seriously question. Given that it is the same number of wires for each, why does it to be fatter?
Who knows, but bitching about it isn't going to change it, get a case that has a bigger opening (or lose the case and use it naked) and move on with your life.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:49 PM   #24
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Who knows, but bitching about it isn't going to change it, get a case that has a bigger opening (or lose the case and use it naked) and move on with your life.
Well I did about 10 posts up,with a piece of sandpaper. Just jostling with non tech Fanboys with the curiosity of a tin can since then. Sorry to be crude.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone