Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I don't mean the adapter but the new female 30 pin to male Lighting connector cable. The Lighting side is FATTER than the apple supplied Lighting power cable so it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case! It would have solved my car connector problem.

How hard would have been to make it the same. The adapter I can understand. But not the cable.

I guess Apple doesn't wish us to use cases. I just returned it. Even the Apple guy thought it was stupid.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I don't mean the adapter but the new female 30 pin to male Lighting connector cable. The Lighting side is FATTER than the apple supplied Lighting power cable so it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case! It would have solved my car connector problem.

How hard would have been to make it the same. The adapter I can understand. But not the cable.

I guess Apple doesn't wish us to use cases. I just returned it. Even the Apple guy thought it was stupid.

Yes sir, had this problem myself. I had to shave off a bit to make it fit.

Elegant? Not exactly, but it functions.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

The regular lighting cable bulges the first switch easy cases.

Switch easy needs to follow the accessories blueprint specs and measurements posted.
NOT the other way around.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
The regular lighting cable bulges the first switch easy cases.

Switch easy needs to follow the accessories blueprint specs and measurements posted.
NOT the other way around.

No i disagree. My original lighting USB cable fits fine, but the Apple 30 pin one is way off.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
30 pin to lightning adaptor is to short to use on your iphone5 if you are using a case, any case . the lightning prong needs to be longer.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Yes sir, had this problem myself. I had to shave off a bit to make it fit.

Elegant? Not exactly, but it functions.

I finally gave in and uses100 grit sandwich and did it by hand. Didn't take much but apple could have done a better job here

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've always wondered why case manufacturers make the charging port area size limited. I'm sure they can do something to allow more room so that any cable can plug into it without any trouble or modification.

I have the 30-pin to Lightning adapter attached to dock and I wish it was a little "shorter." It's so tall that it makes it look like my phone won't have the back support of the case, but I got lucky and about 1/4" was still below the back, so the back support is still there. However, it is a little uneven in weight, one slight push forward and it falls back. But, everything still works. And it's great that the lightning comes off a lot easier than the 30-pin so I don't have to keep plugging it in.

Last edited:

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case! It would have solved my car connector problem.

Not trying to be snarky here, but how is it Apples fault that the SwitchEasy Tones case doesnt match up size wise? Wouldn't that be the case makers fault?

Apple designs fit their own requirements, not some case manufacturers size. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying though.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't mean the adapter but the new female 30 pin to male Lighting connector cable. The Lighting side is FATTER than the apple supplied Lighting power cable so it doesn't fit my SwitchEasy Tones case, and probably any case!
Fits my wife's case just fine. Tell your case maker to make their case properly.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
That's what happens when you dont wait to have the product in your hand before designing something for it. Not Apples fault.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
It's not Apples fault, it's the case manufacturer.

Not trying to be snarky here, but how is it Apples fault that the SwitchEasy Tones case doesnt match up size wise? Wouldn't that be the case makers fault?

Apple designs fit their own requirements, not some case manufacturers size. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying though.

Fits my wife's case just fine. Tell your case maker to make their case properly.

fits in my $2 bumper case from China fine

case failure

That's what happens when you dont wait to have the product in your hand before designing something for it. Not Apples fault.

I disagree for this situation. The USB Lightning Connector that comes in the box with the iPhone 5..fits the SwitchEasy case perfectly.

However, the 0.2 meter long 30 pin to Lightning cable connector (here), not adapter, does not.

I'm not talking about the adapter (adapter). Yea, the adapter doesn't fit either, but for different reasons. I assumed, that is why Apple made the cable version, since people would have the same Apple standard size Lightning end...instead Apple made it too thick.

The 30pin/Lightning cable is about 50% thicker, than the USB/Lightning cable. Why should a case manufacturer be blame for Apple not sticking to its in the box standard? In the past, I generally agree, that case makers should allow more room, because most 3rd party 30 pin producers make their knock off too thick!!! You know the iSimples and other car accessories.

But this time, it's not the 3rd party producers that make a thicker connector...its Apple.

That is not the case makers fault.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There's many many case manufacturers and hundreds of different cases.
You really think Apple will sit there and test all their accessories to make sure they fit every single case? Its the other way around.
The case companies should make sure everything works and plugs in and out with their case on.
Not that hard to comprehent.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
It's getting so you just can't pay a Chinese man twenty cents a day and get quality products!!!

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
There's many many case manufacturers and hundreds of different cases.
You really think Apple will sit there and test all their accessories to make sure they fit every single case? Its the other way around.
The case companies should make sure everything works and plugs in and out with their case on.
Not that hard to comprehent.

Well I do comprehend that you don't get it. Every case that I have owned, maybe 20 or more fits the Apple made standard 30pin USB cable.

Apple changed the standard 30 pin female to Lightning cable. It's different than apples own Lightning standard.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I disagree for this situation. The USB Lightning Connector that comes in the box with the iPhone 5..fits the SwitchEasy case perfectly.

However, the 0.2 meter long 30 pin to Lightning cable connector (here), not adapter, does not.

I'm not talking about the adapter (adapter). Yea, the adapter doesn't fit either, but for different reasons. I assumed, that is why Apple made the cable version, since people would have the same Apple standard size Lightning end...instead Apple made it too thick.

The 30pin/Lightning cable is about 50% thicker, than the USB/Lightning cable. Why should a case manufacturer be blame for Apple not sticking to its in the box standard? In the past, I generally agree, that case makers should allow more room, because most 3rd party 30 pin producers make their knock off too thick!!! You know the iSimples and other car accessories.

But this time, it's not the 3rd party producers that make a thicker connector...its Apple.

That is not the case makers fault.

Well Apple made the lightning to 30-pin adaptor before the case makers made the case. So it is the case makers fault.

If the case maker would have made sure ALL the Apple first party cables fit before shipping the cases out this thread wouldn't exist. There is a reason the 30-pin adaptor is fatter then the lightning cable or apple would have made them the same size.

Case makers fault no mater how you look at it.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well I do comprehend that you don't get it. Every case that I have owned, maybe 20 or more fits the Apple made standard 30pin USB cable.

Apple changed the standard 30 pin female to Lightning cable. It's different than apples own Lightning standard.

Ok it's Apples fault.
They should make their cables compatible with your 20 or more cases:rolleyes:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
There is a reason the 30-pin adaptor is fatter then the lightning cable or apple would have made them the same size.

Well that is the seriously question. Given that it is the same number of wires for each, why does it to be fatter?

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Well that is the seriously question. Given that it is the same number of wires for each, why does it to be fatter?

Who knows, but bitching about it isn't going to change it, get a case that has a bigger opening (or lose the case and use it naked) and move on with your life.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Who knows, but bitching about it isn't going to change it, get a case that has a bigger opening (or lose the case and use it naked) and move on with your life.

Well I did about 10 posts up,with a piece of sandpaper. Just jostling with non tech Fanboys with the curiosity of a tin can since then. Sorry to be crude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.