Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:14 PM   #76
louden
macrumors 65816

I'm >40, and love high res and small pixels. As my eyes age - I'm getting near-sighted, not far-sighted, so I really appreciate small detailed screens.

That's why I'm waiting for that iPad Mini Retina...

Dell Pentium 2 with 500 MB HD Windows 95
Compaq iPaq w/ 64MB of Ram
louden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:19 PM   #77
glhiii
macrumors regular

Prefer Nexus 7

Used the Mini for a week, like the Nexus much more. The problem with the Mini screen is not just the lack of retina. It's some sort of problem with contrast, color, whatever. At first, it seems wonderful, but I think after using it for a while, a lot of people will just not want to have to look at it. It's like looking at a color slide projected on a grayish piece of cardboard in low resolution.
glhiii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:37 PM   #78
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubele View Post
I'm 53, and I've been very near-sighted since I was a teenager, and have had presbyopia since 40. I need glasses for anything farther from my face than a computer screen, but I don't wear glasses to read books, iPads, etc. I can read tiny text on my iPhone 4 without glasses, and I can make out the pixels on the Retina display if I hold it close enough. While my eyesight might be "perfect" at that distance, I don't enjoy reading books on my iPhone, because my eyes start to feel strained after a while. People are different, so it makes perfect sense that some people would experience eyestrain from reading on the iPad Mini, even if their vision is ostensibly 20/20. They aren't deluded or "wrong."

FWIW, I decided to upgrade from my iPad 1 a couple weeks ago. While the iPad Mini was very nice, and while the screen was as legible to me as that of my iPad 1, the iPad 4's Retina screen was so much nicer. I don't find the full-size iPad too big or heavy, so I bought an iPad 4. It's great not having to zoom in on tiny text, which I had to do on my iPad 1.

So buy whatever works best for you, and ignore the people who tell you you're wrong, crazy, or a troll because they perceive things differently and assume the rest of humanity must be the same as they are.
Right on !

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
I'm >40, and love high res and small pixels. As my eyes age - I'm getting near-sighted, not far-sighted, so I really appreciate small detailed screens.

That's why I'm waiting for that iPad Mini Retina...
If all I had to look at was fine detail I too would be fine. However my eyes don't like having to deal with far distance and arms length displays and reading distance and fine details. Usually I can get by with just far distance and reading distance (with occasional fine details). One set of bifocals will suffice. So table top monitors are out as is the iPad mini (unfortunately for both).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #79
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
IF the type is bothering your eyes it's time for some glasses. The simple act of reading from a typical distance should not be causing you issues IF your eyes are functioning properly. I have zero issues with the iPad mini and am glad to have it in my hot hands.
LOL you're looking at it wrong!
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:56 PM   #80
Guy Mancuso
macrumors 6502a

Well I got the bug today to not wait on the LTE model as I can just use my hotspot from my iPhone 5 so went to Best Buy hoping to grab a 32gb Wi-fi only. But only 64gb so I bite the bullet as I don't need 64 but anyway I'm 56 and far sighted wear 275 mag. reading glasses. I had the IPad 2 and have to say I was worried about the screen. Been at Apple store twice to check it out. I will say this its a helluva lot better at home than the store and I can read it pretty well. I just zoom a little when I need to and it's very comfortable to my eyes. I agree we are all different and have different needs. So this will vary among folks but so far very nice. My 15 year old wants one now. Lol

I'm not giving it up.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:02 AM   #81
lique831
macrumors member

37 year old, wear contacts/glasses. Most font sizes are fine, but when they're not I usually double tap on pages and get the clearer text and larger size...not a problem.
lique831 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:07 AM   #82
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

Does the Ipad's Accessibility options have the option to increase the size of the font, I increased it for a friend of mine on her Iphone. Can this be done on the ipad?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:55 AM   #83
PhoneI
macrumors 65816

you can use the Reader functionality of the browser which allows you to change the font size. I too find the text in the browser too small. Most of my apps have font control built in so its not a problem.
PhoneI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:19 AM   #84
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneI View Post
you can use the Reader functionality of the browser which allows you to change the font size. I too find the text in the browser too small. Most of my apps have font control built in so its not a problem.
I do not see the reader button in the URL with lots of the web pages I view.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:22 AM   #85
jcborden
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Does the Ipad's Accessibility options have the option to increase the size of the font, I increased it for a friend of mine on her Iphone. Can this be done on the ipad?
You can bump the default font size of most of the in built apps like contacts, calendar, mail etc. However, this has no effect on Safari. The best bet (if switching to landscape doesn't make the text large enough) is to install the font + and font - javascript bookmarklets that will decrease/increase the font size of the page you are on, or use a browser like Perfect Browser that allows you to increase the font size for all or individual sites.
jcborden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:30 AM   #86
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Having too much fun with the mini to concern myself with portrait view on web pages. Do not get me wrong cause I want better for portrait regardless of which browser I use but so long as I have a solution for now I'll just put it on the back burner.

Unless one cannot zoom or use landscape for web pages because it is an issue with certain ones, STOP wasting time like I was. Enjoy the mini. Case closed!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:10 PM   #87
mac4good84
macrumors member

Considering a mini.

I'm trying out a mini right now, and I have until January 24 to return it. I used it a few times in store before getting one. My main concern was the screen, but I will put it through all the paces before deciding on it. But the size and weight of this device is just insanely good. I take it out a lot, to work, the gym for example, and compared to a 4 which I also tried out, this is just the perfect ipad for traveling or anything, for that matter... The weight and portability alone is worth the price IMO.

Holding it in my hands just has a great feel to it, and everything works really well with it even though its an older processor. And going back to non retina, the screen really doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I'm sure, in any case, that when the next gen comes out with retina display, I will selll this current mini for the new one. However, I'm also considering buying an ipad 4 STRICTLY for home use and having the mini for "on the go", that way I can have the mini and retina. My concern there is making sure both devices will be used as I don't like investing in anything that will just be sitting there, collecting dust......
mac4good84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad