|Nov 23, 2012, 03:05 AM||#1|
Upgrade MBP Mid2010 to SSD or get rMBP?
I'm considering upgrading my Mid 2010 MBP (2.66 GHz i7, 8GB) to a retina MBP. It kind of feels like overkill, but the want factor is quite persuasive.
But, i'm wondering if simply upgrading the old hard drive in the 2010 to an SSD will give me enough of a boost. Hopefully the experience of mac users in here can help me decide.
I use Lightroom 4 and photoshop CS6 to work with RAW photos. Am I going to get a significantly bigger performance from getting the rMPB than I would from simply upgrading to an SSD in my 2010?
PS: this is my first post here so if im posting in the wrong spot please let me know.
|Nov 23, 2012, 04:06 AM||#2|
SSD in older MBP 13" - definitely
I recently had my early 2011 MBP" upgraded to 16Gb RAM and a 512 Crucial SSD Drive. The difference if phenomenal! It boots in 18 seconds and everything is faster - this under Mountain Lion. I believe there is an ML issue with a slow-ish write out to SSD on shut down.
Nonetheless - I'd say do it!
I'm so impressed I'm having an early 2010 MBP upraded with a 256 SSD for someone else in the org. I was going to get a 13" MBP but decided not to because it has a max RAM of 8Gb.
So, I think that the best bang for buck no is:
New 13" MBP in it's standard 2.9GHz/8Gb/500Gb processor spec. Then add a 512Gb SSD (and sell the 500Gb drive) and upgrade to 16Gb (and sell the 8Gb RAM).
You can stagger the upgrades to spread the cost. The SSD makes the biggest difference.
Unless you need the Retina screen this is your cheapest route to speed in a 13" form factor.
|Nov 23, 2012, 06:30 AM||#3|
I think I'd try to get at least another year out of the 2010 MBP. I also installed 2 Crucial M4's recently and am pleased with their performance -- the 256GB gave a nice boost to my 2009 MBP.
There's no doubt that the rMBP is a sweet machine. Though you would gain USB3, faster processors and the lighter form factor, this is the year of it's premier. I'd wait another year to see if Apple can get the issues sussed out.
|Nov 23, 2012, 08:07 AM||#4|
I wanted an 11" MBA but also wanted longer battery life...I came across a NIB 2011 13" MBP for $806 and I had 8Gb of RAM installed (2x4Gb) in my 2011 iMac (along with the 2x2Gb chips), then I came across a deal on Amazon on a Crucial M4 512Gb SSD so I snagged the lot!
I now have the MBP up and running faster than the 2012 MBA's with 8Gb RAM and 4x's the internal SSD storage for only $55 more than the MBA would have cost me!
Sure its 1.5 lbs heavier and I don't get USB3 but with all that internal storage I don't really need to hook up external drives to it
I also have a 2009 Whitebook nVidia 9400m that I put a Crucial M2 128Gb SSD into and its still a very usable machine considering its only a 2.0Ghz C2D CPU in it (I do have 4Gb of 800Mhz RAM in it as well even though apple only says it officially supports the 667Mhz RAM).
I'd upgrade your current machine and wait for Haswell or Broadwell before getting a new machine
2011 21" iMac, AEBS, 2009 2.0Ghz nVidia 9400M WB 4GB RAM & 64Gb SSD, 2011 13" MBP w/ 512Gb SSD/8Gb RAM, 2013 11.6" MBA & iPad3 64gb 4G
PC's: X6, H60, 12Gb RAM, 3x1Tb HDD, 128Gb SSD
Last edited by J&JPolangin; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.