Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I've been having some issues with backing up through time machine and installing programs on my Mac Book Pro. It is the 2010 version, dual core running on i7 2.66ghz processor. I am running osx 10.6.8

I'm not sure if these are two separate issues, or if it is connected, but every time I try to backup my laptop using Time Machine, the process of looking up files and preparing files goes through, and sometimes it gets to about 200mb of 10gb backed up, but after that it just disappears, and time machine preferences does not show oldest backup or latest backup, and the backup doesn't go through. As far as installation goes, I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Reader the other day, but the installation fails, and it asks me to contact the software manufacturer for assistance. I also tried to install a software from a seagate usb external backup I bought recently, and it also told me the same error.

I have verified and repaired my mac hd as well as verified and repaired permissions, but it keeps happening. I have also done the same for the partition of the external hd that I have been trying to backup on. Other than that, my laptop is running fine.

If anyone has ran into this problem before and found a solution, please let me know.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the replies :)

JT08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Anybody? Still have the issue .. is reinstalling the os my only option?

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
As you have tried nearly all the options I think you need to reinstall your Mac again may be there might be some missing files which does not allow to backup via time machine or the files got corrupted. Your best option is reinstall your Mac but before that backup your data with a any third party tool like CCC, Stellar Drive Clone, or SuperDuper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.