Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
No because the 9.7" is superior in performance and size. Never once thought to myself gee I want a iPad ~1.8 inches smaller with 2 year-old hardware specs.

Would be more interested in the device if it had the A6 more so than Retina.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No because the 9.7" is superior in performance and size. Never once thought to myself gee I want a iPad ~1.8 inches smaller with 2 year-old hardware specs.

Would be more interested in the device if it had the A6 more so than Retina.

When the mini gets retina the liklihood is both the mini and iPad will share identical specs albeit with screen size being the only differential.

Current A5X and A6X are unlikely candidates for the mini as the X variant is simply too power hungry for the mini's 15 watt battery (compared to 42 Watt in iPad).

The liklihood is if the A7 is powerful enough to drive a retina resolution display without sacrificing power efficiency and without the need for a X variant, then the iPad mini and iPad will both recieve the same chip.

I also suspect a retina mini will be priced slightly higher than the current mini $399. Replacing the iPad 2 in the iPad pricing scheme. With the current mini either staying at $329 or maybe dropping to $299 as the 'value' option.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
When the mini gets retina the liklihood is both the mini and iPad will share identical specs albeit with screen size being the only differential.

Current A5X and A6X are unlikely candidates for the mini as the X variant is simply too power hungry for the mini's 15 watt battery (compared to 42 Watt in iPad).
I'm no physicist, but don't you mean watt-hours? (mAh * V / 1000 = Wh)

The liklihood is if the A7 is powerful enough to drive a retina resolution display without sacrificing power efficiency and without the need for a X variant, then the iPad mini and iPad will both recieve the same chip.
Wow! It's really awesome if the A7 can handle the workload of A6X (or higher) with the power-consumption of the A5X (or lower). I'm looking forward to see it in operation.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Don't cheat yourself, return it for a new one. My Nexus 7 is very smooth & fun to use.

I enjoy my mini as well, it's just not quite as versatile. That's not a complaint as I knew that before I bought it.

I have a Nexus 7 - a great device and I love it but its just not as smooth and user friendly as a Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.