Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thumbs down This really pisses me off, Apple!

Engraving on iPad is the same as for iPhone, iPT.

2 lines only.
34 characters (including spaces) each.
Same or very similar font size (so it is tiny on iPad)
ONLY in the language of your iTunes account (some characters on US English KB also not allowed).

To me this is the most anal-retentive restriction Apple has.

(asbestos underwear on)

I HAVE sent Tcook@apple.com email about this (other too, but they bounced back)
I also sent iPad Feedback.

I know this devalues my iPad, but its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Take it to an engraver instead.
http://www.fusionofideas.com/ipad-engraving
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Take it to an engraver instead.
http://www.fusionofideas.com/ipad-engraving
Will Apple pay for it?


I know, I know, its FREE, but if you limit it, it just annoys people.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
...I know, I know, its FREE, but if you limit it, it just annoys people.
I initially thought your were ranting about a paid service, it's free.

http://vimeo.com/50652818
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store

Last edited by darngooddesign; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
darngooddesign is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
iPhone cannot be engraved
chumawumba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
iPhone cannot be engraved
Precisely, engraving glass generally doesn't work too well.
NutsNGum is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Engraving on iPad is the same as for iPhone, iPT.

2 lines only.
34 characters (including spaces) each.
Same or very similar font size (so it is tiny on iPad)
ONLY in the language of your iTunes account (some characters on US English KB also not allowed).

To me this is the most anal-retentive restriction Apple has.

(asbestos underwear on)

I HAVE sent Tcook@apple.com email about this (other too, but they bounced back)
I also sent iPad Feedback.

I know this devalues my iPad, but its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!
You sound just like a spoiled brat. If you don't like what is offered for free then take it somewhere else and pay them to engrave it to your exact specifications. If Apple chooses to offer something for free then it is their right to decide the terms on which they offer it.
brand is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
bufffilm
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
there's a reason why there are so limited options on the engraving...that's why it's free.

why stress out over it...take it somewhere else if you want better engraving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Engraving on iPad is the same as for iPhone, iPT.

2 lines only.
34 characters (including spaces) each.
Same or very similar font size (so it is tiny on iPad)
ONLY in the language of your iTunes account (some characters on US English KB also not allowed).

To me this is the most anal-retentive restriction Apple has.

(asbestos underwear on)

I HAVE sent Tcook@apple.com email about this (other too, but they bounced back)
I also sent iPad Feedback.

I know this devalues my iPad, but its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!
bufffilm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:06 PM   #9
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
I never understood the need for engraving on iPhone or iPad. What happens when you need to replace it? I guess you lose the engraving right?

I just don't get it. Not hatin, just not relatin.
__________________
pat park is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:41 PM   #10
ScruffyS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont, Usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
I know this devalues my iPad, but its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!
I was thinking this exact same thing. What i would greatly enjoy is the ability to use the whole back. I know plenty of people would do something ridiculous like ghetto font "get mo' money".. But I'd adore grabbing photoshop and make something amazing, or hire someone on deviantArt to make something. So as long as you didn't cover the Apple logo, FCC info or the word iPhone I don't see why they couldn't.. well xD other then reducing the possibility of returning it even more.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
I never understood the need for engraving on iPhone or iPad. What happens when you need to replace it? I guess you lose the engraving right?

I just don't get it. Not hatin, just not relatin.
No, they re-engrave it for you. * But in my experience it will delay your replacement by up to a week

*Side note, some apple stores will refuse to repair or replace your iDevice if it's engraved
__________________
Hell, there are no rules here.. we're trying to accomplish something. ~ Thomas Edison
ScruffyS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:09 PM   #11
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!

How many companies offer engraving on their products during checkout in the first place?

Also, i'm sure there is a business reason for the restrictions, probably so you are not hogging the engraving machine for the hundreds of products that need to pass through it every hour.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:29 PM   #12
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyS View Post
I was thinking this exact same thing. What i would greatly enjoy is the ability to use the whole back. I know plenty of people would do something ridiculous like ghetto font "get mo' money".. But I'd adore grabbing photoshop and make something amazing, or hire someone on deviantArt to make something. So as long as you didn't cover the Apple logo, FCC info or the word iPhone I don't see why they couldn't.. well xD other then reducing the possibility of returning it even more.
And Apple will let you do that to your iPad they just wont pay for it nor should they.
brand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:12 PM   #13
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyS View Post
*Side note, some apple stores will refuse to repair or replace your iDevice if it's engraved
Umm...no. Not if you are still within your 1 year warranty or purchased AppleCare+. Why would Apple encourage you to engrave something if they were going to not honor their own warranty? Just to tell you "ha ha, you engraved something we offered for free at checkout so we can't work on it"? I don't think so.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:06 AM   #14
mtneer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
How many companies offer engraving on their products during checkout in the first place?

Also, i'm sure there is a business reason for the restrictions, probably so you are not hogging the engraving machine for the hundreds of products that need to pass through it every hour.
This... Mass manufacturing lives and dies by throughput.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:11 AM   #15
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
It's free... I would understand more if it were a paid service. But since it's free, you're only gaining something not really losing something. Also, I don't see any other electronics company doing engraving on their products, free or paid.
__________________
YouTube | Twitter
MacBook Air | iPhone 5 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme 802.11ac | iPad signed by Steve Wozniak
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:56 AM   #16
ScruffyS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont, Usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
...
Oh, it has been said here many times that sometimes you can't.. just assumed

*
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
... that can't be returned after it's engraved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Having my iPad 3 made with an Apple engraving was the worst Apple purchase that I ever made.

You can't return it and the value is a couple hundred dollars less because of it.
*my mistake.. it seems if you want to return it it will be refused ^^; my bad
__________________
Hell, there are no rules here.. we're trying to accomplish something. ~ Thomas Edison
ScruffyS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:12 AM   #17
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
You sound just like a spoiled brat. If you don't like what is offered for free then take it somewhere else and pay them to engrave it to your exact specifications. If Apple chooses to offer something for free then it is their right to decide the terms on which they offer it.
Agreed. If you want something engraved and Apple won't do it, then you can take it someplace else and have it done.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:45 AM   #18
imanidiot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
This thread is ridiculous.
imanidiot is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:08 AM   #19
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
I never understood the need for engraving on iPhone or iPad. What happens when you need to replace it? I guess you lose the engraving right?

I just don't get it. Not hatin, just not relatin.
You could make a plaster cast of the engraving, and keep it on your mantlepiece . You know -- to enjoy and stuff ...
knucklehead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:49 PM   #20
racer1441
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
why would you deface such a nice computer?
racer1441 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanidiot View Post
This thread is ridiculous.
You got there before me.This is beyond ridiculous.

I can only wish for everyone that the biggest problem that they have in their lives is engraving on an electronic device.

This defines the cliché first world problem!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:17 PM   #22
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
This defines the cliché first world problem!
If that's defined as a self-absorbed sense of entitlement, then you've hit the nail on the head.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:52 PM   #23
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
why would you deface such a nice computer?
I supposed it would be debacking.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC