Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Guys

Over the last 7 weeks I have noticed safari much slower than previously. Using a a broadband speed checker, I'm getting 8.5mb on my IPad and iPhone BUT my imac and MacBook Pro struggle to get 2mb!!

I have checked he router and there is 11.5mb broadband moving in.

Does anyone know what he problem may be or settings I need to change to fix this?

I want to get this sorted before my new imac 27, i7, iTB fusion, 680mx arrives :D

Paul-B

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Europe
Guys

Over the last 7 weeks I have noticed safari much slower than previously. Using a a broadband speed checker, I'm getting 8.5mb on my IPad and iPhone BUT my imac and MacBook Pro struggle to get 2mb!!

I have checked he router and there is 11.5mb broadband moving in.

Does anyone know what he problem may be or settings I need to change to fix this?

I want to get this sorted before my new imac 27, i7, iTB fusion, 680mx arrives :D
Wi-Fi will generally be slower than data cable. I'm on 100Mbps and get just over that with a data cable connected to my iMac. About 98 with Time Capsule Wi-Fi on the floor. And downstairs though a concrete floor it's down to 20Mbps on my iPad...

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
UPDATE:

When i plug in an ethernet cable i get 8.5 to 9mb

----------

Wi-Fi will generally be slower than data cable. I'm on 100Mbps and get just over that with a data cable connected to my iMac. About 98 with Time Capsule Wi-Fi on the floor. And downstairs though a concrete floor it's down to 20Mbps on my iPad...

Thanks, but i am sitting 6ft from the router and my iPad, iphone get 8.5mb and my macbook pro in the same place gets 2mb... surely this is not right?

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Have you got many other access points in the area? It's possible the 2.4ghz band is clogged up. On my Airport Extreme I get pish speeds on 2.4. On 5ghz I get just over 200mbps. I'm the only one in the area with 5ghz :)

BonanzaNLD

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I don't get it. Today I tested my old mac and my new mac (late 2012 21.5) and guess what? The Wifi on my old mac gives me a speed of approx 50Mbit/s , while the new mac gives around 2MBit/s (see screenshot attached).

They connect via the same airport express to my modem.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 164

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
My iMac won't hold a 5ghz connection, neither will the MBP, the macbook sometimes won't stream video when everything else will. I have a 14mb connection.

my late 2009 iMac never had an issue with the wifi so I'm assuming they started using dodgy cards after 2009.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My iMac won't hold a 5ghz connection, neither will the MBP, the macbook sometimes won't stream video when everything else will. I have a 14mb connection.

my late 2009 iMac never had an issue with the wifi so I'm assuming they started using dodgy cards after 2009.

What a load of rubbish - using dodgy cards. The cards they use now are better than the cards back then.

Op - best thing to do is try changing the wireless channel on your router, and maybe try a different band too.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
What a load of rubbish - using dodgy cards. The cards they use now are better than the cards back then.

Op - best thing to do is try changing the wireless channel on your router, and maybe try a different band too.

Hi Brian, thanks i did try that with the Internet provider, in fact I went through 10 different channels.

I had a session booked with Apple but I couldnt keep the telephone appointment. If you google the problem there are lots of different suggestions, somehow I think I have tried them all so far

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK

I didn't say they were, just a theory. no need to be rude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.