Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

iPhone photo retrieval

Please help!

My sister has an iPhone 4 and a new baby boy. While making his bottle she dropped her phone into the water (upside down so no water got into the charging port) and since it has not worked. We have taken it apart and thoroughly dried it out but it will not switch on.

When connected to a pc the the computer detects that something is connected but the phone does not appear at all. The boot logo comes on (only when connected to computer, not charger) and it restarts continuously.

I know the phone is ruined but that is not my question. She has numerous, irreplaceable photos of her son, hours after birth and I want to be able to get the phone to connect to a computer long enough to get them off.

Is this a futile effort? Any help is much appreciated.

Oh, and she was on iOS 4 so no iCloud!

Last edited by Arm1e; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Extra info
Arm1e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
trazanka
macrumors newbie

iPhone photo retrieval option

You may want to try a program other then iTunes, I use PhoneView from Ecamm, (www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/) it lets you see the contents of your phone like pictures and movies.

Good luck.
trazanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

I can't because, although the computer knows something is connected to it, it doesn't know it is an iPhone. Nothing recognises it.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
trazanka
macrumors newbie

iPhone photo retrieval option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm1e View Post
I can't because, although the computer knows something is connected to it, it doesn't know it is an iPhone. Nothing recognises it.
OK, clarification needed, how do you know the computer is seeing it? 2nd question, did you confirm ecamm does not work or are you assuming since iTunes does not recognize it, ecamm will not as well?
trazanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

The computer chimes when I connect the phone but it does not appear in My Computer. No idea what ecamm is, I'm afraid. iTunes does not recognise it either.

Sorry, yes I do. No I have not tried ecamm but did use ifunbox which I have used in the past.

Last edited by Arm1e; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: I am an idiot
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
chargit
macrumors 6502a

I dont know what area you live in but it is definately worth taking it to a repair shop and have a professional make an attempt to repair the water damage. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

New information.

Ok so when it's phone is plugged onto the mains it fully boots into emergency mode and asks for iTunes connection.

The problem is that when you unplug it it switches off instantly and in the pc won't even get this far. I have replaced the battery with a brand new one and retried, but same problem, although the pc no longer recognises that anything has attached to the USB. Perhaps a loooooooong charge is required. I will try again later.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

Ok, still not working but.....

With no battery in at all the phone still gets to the emergency calls only screen if plugged into the mains. It would seem that the power can start the phone but not reach the battery.

What should I try next
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:45 PM   #9
markfc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
Ok, you can do this.

You need to put the phone in dfu mode then you can ssh into using cyber duck.

Google for ssh dfu and you'll find all the links you need

It works cause I've just done it for a friend :-)
markfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:04 AM   #10
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

Can't say as it is not jail broken, or does that not matter?

I have just replaced the charger unit and still won't boot for more than 8 seconds in pc and fully boots on mains! Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

I have been able to get to recovery mode on pc!!! Can I access photos now? Phone is seen by iTunes but only to restore, wiping any photos or videos.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

To try to get into dfu, so that I can try ifunbox, I have ordered a new power button loom as I think this may have been fried as power button is unresponsive. Fingers crossed
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Arm1e
macrumors newbie

Ok, i have now replaced the power button loom and the button works. Unfortunately I still can't get into dfu mode via USB. I still get to emergency calls screen via mains adapter. Battery still does not charge despite installing a.new connector.

What else can I try?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting