Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Trying to make an interface that takes a few inputs from a user over a few screens. Like the setup for Dropbox (see attachment). Can anybody tell me how to do this, or what the interface unit is called?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 20.43.19.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 20.43.19.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 135

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Trying to make an interface that takes a few inputs from a user over a few screens. Like the setup for Dropbox (see attachment). Can anybody tell me how to do this, or what the interface unit is called?

Looks like standard Cocoa/Aqua to me. Play around with Interface Builder in Xcode.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_(software)
A software wizard or setup assistant is a user interface type that presents a user with a sequence of dialog boxes that lead the user through a series of well-defined steps. ...​

Its typical name notwithstanding, there's no magic to making them. When I've made them before I used a single window and loaded the sub-views from nib files. The subviews were made the usual way: by hand in IB. The logic was all coded in Objective-C.

AFAIK, Apple has never called them "wizards", only "assistants". Maybe there's some sample code available on the web. Cocoa wizard and Cocoa assistant are the obvious search terms.

If you're looking for a way to simplify making, maintaining, or managing the subviews, maybe there's a higher-level tool oriented towards website developers that uses HTML + JavaScript. If you find that, you could embed a Webview in the window and load the HTML + JS content locally. That approach might be more sensible if you expect to make a lot of assistants. For a typical program, I expect that crafting the HTML + JS underpinnings in order to use a hypothetical web-based wizard-maker may well be more work than just making the subviews with IB.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I feel like I've seen a developer tool when digging around the Apple Dev Tools that generates the interface for installer apps like that for you... It's why almost every installer follows the same steps and looks almost identical. I want to say its called "Package Maker" or something like that... I think I found it in the same folder as "Icon Maker" - except I think Apple has since done away with that tool in favor of just having several app icons with special names the same way as they do for iOS...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I feel like I've seen a developer tool when digging around the Apple Dev Tools that generates the interface for installer apps like that for you... It's why almost every installer follows the same steps and looks almost identical. I want to say its called "Package Maker" or something like that... I think I found it in the same folder as "Icon Maker" - except I think Apple has since done away with that tool in favor of just having several app icons with special names the same way as they do for iOS...

Yes, that's the tool for making Installer packages. However, it's limited to only making Installer packages. It's not a generalized tool that lets you make arbitrary Assistant sequences.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, that's the tool for making Installer packages. However, it's limited to only making Installer packages. It's not a generalized tool that lets you make arbitrary Assistant sequences.

Sorry, I only glanced at the thumbnail of the OP's screenshot and thought it was specifically of an installer, not a generic assistant.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
NSPanel in an .xib file. The editable and static text fields are NSTextFields. Create a new window - New->File->Window and drag the NSTextFields into it.

you also need to create a subclass of NSWindowController to manage it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.