Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:44 PM   #26
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by thei0009 View Post
Oh really thanks alot I didn't know that
Just so you know, it was meant as sarcasm, unless you meant the above post as counter-sarcasm. MD231LL/A is the current 13" MBA.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:19 PM   #27
hackerwayne
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to hackerwayne Send a message via Skype™ to hackerwayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5060 View Post
I have a MacBook Air 2008 and I like it very much but it isn't quick enough to do what I want it to. I know your can't upgrade it individually because there all atached but I want to almost replace everything, if so is there any company that can do this for me.
Thank you
Nope. Sell it on eBay and buy a 2010+ model
Quote: Nothing is impossible. Twitter: @Wayne_819
hackerwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:38 PM   #28
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgipe View Post
Apple sells a convenient upgrade kit for your 2008 MBA that takes care of all the parts you want to replace. You can pick one up at any Apple store. Ask for part number MD231LL/A.
You Sir made the Internet have a good laugh !
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:49 PM   #29
bwh1969
macrumors newbie

Ssd

The OWC SSD is a notable upgrade. The speed you will get will surprise you. What might also surprise you is how easy it is to work on the Air.

I was having some issues with my late '08 air, and thinking it was the HD, I got a 60 GB SSD from OWC. I didn't want to spend a whole lot more on a suspicion hence the me buying the smallest one. The machine became a new again. 10 second boot to start. The actual slowdown however, was in fact due to a bad logic board which finally crapped out a few weeks later: the SSD's speed made the real problem of a bad board obvious with me still having issues with stuck booting and odd video behavior. Found a used one on EBAY for $200. So much for not wanting to spend a lot on a 5 yo machine. With that being said, this model 2,1 is so much quicker with the SSD and assuming you have confidence in the other hardware, it is a SERIOUS improvement. I can even run XP (rarely when I need a program that only runs in win) with 768 MB RAM in a VM with the 2 GB RAM.

Granted. It is probably swapping quite a bit, and the SSD won't last forever because of this, but $1.60 GB isn't bad for increasing the usability of the machine. Keep in mind the OWC SSD seems to be the only one that goes in this model and it isn't a perfect fit: the original HD mount needs to come out. Apple might make one, but the early ones are noted to be fairly slow.

OR, like mgipe notes, get the entire upgrade kit:-). I actually got a 5,2 with the i5 and 8 GB RAM. The 2,1 is my travel and work machine. If I were to drop it or have it stolen, I'd still be annoyed but would easily get over it.

Last edited by bwh1969; Mar 31, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
bwh1969 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air