Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Has anyone said Prince, Purple Rain yet? How about Led Zeppelin (crap, can't remember the name now).

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
When the Beatles first became stars, they would record and release them two at a time; hoping that each song would become a hit in its own right and make its way to the top of the charts. Usually they'd record an original, and then often a cover of someone else's song as the "B" side on the 45 disc. (

In other words, 15 years after the introduction of the LP, the Beatles were working in the studio basically the same way that Kid Ory did in 1922. That's quite a technological revolution! They had to--the single still drove radio airplay and sales.

Of course, that just raises the issue that what an artist/band did in the studio might only be marginally related to what is eventually issued on disk--this was true for the Beatles (some of what was recorded during the Sgt. Pepper sessions ended up on other records) and many others, up to today. One of the most extreme examples of this to come to mind is Miles Davis's legendary three-day recording marathon to get out of his Prestige contract--a session that eventually produced SEVEN albums.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
All right, I throw some albums out for you, in no particular order:

Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica
Negativland, Escape From Noise
Ellington/Roach/Mingus, Money Jungle
Coltrane, Giant Steps
Coltrane, Ascension
Coltrane, Quartet Plays
Dave Van Ronk, Folksinger
Laurie Anderson, United States Live
Ellington, Far East Suite
Thelonious Monk, Monk's Music
Odetta, At the Gate of Horn
Dead Kennedys, FrankenChrist

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Probably not the Greatest Albums of all Time, but just now I would choose these very random albums:

Kraftwerk: Radio-Aktivität
Yazoo : Upstairs at Eric's
Metallica : Metallica
VCMG : Ssss
Erasure : Erasure

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
With many people including Dark Side of the Moon in their lists, I thought I would post this.

http://rainwarrior.ca/music/moon8.html

Have you ever wondered what Dark Side of the Moon would sound like if Pink Floyd had written it for NES, instead of for a rock band?

What is this?

This is a transcription of the entire Pink Floyd album Dark Side of the Moon for the Nintendo Entertainment System. No expansion chips were used; this album works entirely within the limitations of the standard North American NES.

Anyone else heard this before? I think it's pretty awesome.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
In no particular order, my top 10:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - One Size Fits All
Bebop Deluxe - Axe Victim
Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
Rush - 2112
Tool - Undertow
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Van Halen - Van Halen
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion 1&2

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
It feels wrong, but I really want to say 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' by Panic! at the Disco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.