Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:34 PM   #151
3lite
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I just got through watching the last 20 minutes, and 3lite's right. If you pay enough attention, it all but spells it out for us. The Tyrells are obviously the fulcrum on which the whole plot turned. Sansa likely had a part, since she had come to trust the Tyrells over the last season, and had more reasons than most for wanting to see Joffrey dead. Sir Dontos, feeling both indebted to Sansa for saving his life, and not being too big a fan of Joffrey for making him a literal and figurative fool, helped her out in some way, probably at her request.

The vaguely middle eastern couple who's name I can't recall at the moment, are probably a red herring. I'm thinking they might end up doing something to one of the Lannisters (I'm thinking they'll eventually off Tywin), but a poisoning is too subtle for them. If they killed Joffrey, they'd want the Lannisters to know it's them who did it.

...or they could've been the ones who provided the poison. Who knows?

Though it doesn't spell it out directly, that final scene does make it fairly obvious who's involved.

edit: I should also add that the Tyrells did have something to gain from all of this, and they didn't kill Joffrey simply as an act of altruism, stopping a cruel tyrant before he fully hit his stride. Margery is now, by law, a Baratheon. Though she won't take the throne directly, she will be the queen regent until Joffrey's younger brother marries. Though I doubt Cersei will willingly give up her hold on power, Margery, and thus the Tyrells, have a legitimate claim to the throne.
Rez, you're getting warm but I don't think you got the full picture just yet. You man want to rewatch the entire episode again if you have the time to do some more detective work.

Also, a little backstory on the Martell couple. Oberyn Martell, or the Red Viper as they call him, is very knowledgeable in the art of poison. I have no idea why the show did not convey this fact is beyond me. The reason they even call him the Red Viper is because he poisoned a man in a bout. Oberyn has actually forged a few chain links (the equivalent of a few college degrees) and spent a lot of time across the narrow seas studying lots of different cultures and poison/spices.

During the episode, you notice that Oberyn gives Loras the sexy eyes. What is strange about that is in the books, the Martells and Tyrells do not see eye to eye. Long ago, Willas Tyrell (Marg and Loras's older brother) got accidentally crippled in a jousting tourney against Oberyn. Ever since then, there has been tension amongst the families.

Long story short, the Lannisters aren't the only ones who don't want Oberyn at that wedding lol.
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:56 PM   #152
The Doctor11
macrumors 65816

I dont have HBO if I did I would watch
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:20 PM   #153
malman89
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
I dont have HBO if I did I would watch
That's what the Internet is for, my good friend. It's how I spend my Monday evenings after work - watching Game of Thrones and now Mad Men as well.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 01:54 AM   #154
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
That's what the Internet is for, my good friend. It's how I spend my Monday evenings after work - watching Game of Thrones and now Mad Men as well.
Monday mornings are the only mornings that I don't go back to bed after feeding the dogs at 6-7. Thanks Walking Dead. Thanks Game of Thrones. Thanks Sweden.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:29 AM   #155
malman89
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
Monday mornings are the only mornings that I don't go back to bed after feeding the dogs at 6-7. Thanks Walking Dead. Thanks Game of Thrones. Thanks Sweden.
I think Breaking Bad was the only show I really cared to watch Monday morning before work to avoid spoilers. Game of Thrones I've read the books. Other shows I watch are more typically comedies where spoilers don't matter.

I still need to give The Walking Dead a try. Been meaning to do that for some time.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:52 AM   #156
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
I think Breaking Bad was the only show I really cared to watch Monday morning before work to avoid spoilers. Game of Thrones I've read the books. Other shows I watch are more typically comedies where spoilers don't matter.

I still need to give The Walking Dead a try. Been meaning to do that for some time.
The first season was really cool but the second was a drag and eventually I almost had to set a reminder to downl... errr obtain the latest episode in the night . The last season was a bit better again. I'm a huge horror movie fan but the novelty of Zombies on TV on a regular basis did wear off pretty quick with this show and once you're over that it becomes just another regular TV drama show with almost soap like personal relationships and issues, including some characters that make dumb choices, which I usually find annoying (except for in "The Following" - I love the way the show depicts the FBI as completely degenerated idiots that can turn a simple scenario like buying a bag of chips into a comical suicide mission).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM   #157
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:
The first season was really cool but the second was a drag and eventually I almost had to set a reminder to downl... errr obtain the latest episode in the night . The last season was a bit better again. I'm a huge horror movie fan but the novelty of Zombies on TV on a regular basis did wear off pretty quick with this show and once you're over that it becomes just another regular TV drama show with almost soap like personal relationships and issues, including some characters that make dumb choices, which I usually find annoying (except for in "The Following" - I love the way the show depicts the FBI as completely degenerated idiots that can turn a simple scenario like buying a bag of chips into a comical suicide mission).
Back on topic, gentlemen, the king has been poisoned!
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:19 PM   #158
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
He has! I assume that will switch Cersei into Ultrabitch mode (even more so than normal)? (I haven't read the books)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:16 PM   #159
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
Other TV talk here -> What's on TV.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:25 PM   #160
impulse462
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
He has! I assume that will switch Cersei into Ultrabitch mode (even more so than normal)? (I haven't read the books)
There was a theory that Cersei might have poisoned Joffery because with him marrying Margery, she was losing control over Joffery and thus the crown. With him dead, Joffery's younger brother would technically be king but just a figurehead for Cersei and Tywin.

Personally, I don't think the theory is valid because I remember Cersei, at one point, saying that one of the only reason she's alive is her children.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
game of thrones, television, television shows