Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:24 PM   #3426
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
I finally had the pleasure of watching The Maltese Falcon for the first time, after having read about it so much from members here. I thought it was terrific, from the acting and dialogue to the storytelling and pacing.[COLOR="#808080"]
Just to break my annoying and repetitive pattern, I won't say anything about The Maltese Falcon...except I'm always glad when someone discovers this incredible film.

I just watched Man Of Steel. For what it was, a CGI dominated action film, it was OK. The SFX were undeniably well done.

I thought it was about ½ hour too long, and the final fight with Zod became boring. And after all that crashing through buildings stuff, the fatal vulnerability was breaking his neck!?

Aside from being too long, I suppose if you want a no-brain-need movie, this one is OK.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:28 PM   #3427
xlii
macrumors 68000

Movies that made a difference to me:

2001 A Space Odyssey

A Clockwork Orange

The Harder They Come (a Jamaican Movie)

The Tenant (A Roman Polanski film)

Zachariah (County Joe & the James Gang) first and last Rock and roll cowboy movie

Cool Hand Luke (reminds me of the army)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946 movie about WW2 vets adjusting to civilian life)

Recent stuff I've enjoyed:

Safety Not Guarranteed (really well done on a low budget)

Orphan Black (1st season 10 episodes) Bang bang bang... not a dull moment. Season 2 starts April 19th on BBCA and I can't wait.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:12 PM   #3428
Huntn
macrumors 603

Gladiator (2000)- Russel Crowe's greatest role in a movie that deserved Best Picture no matter how fictional of a story it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post
Movies that made a difference to me:

2001 A Space Odyssey

A Clockwork Orange

The Harder They Come (a Jamaican Movie)

The Tenant (A Roman Polanski film)

Zachariah (County Joe & the James Gang) first and last Rock and roll cowboy movie

Cool Hand Luke (reminds me of the army)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946 movie about WW2 vets adjusting to civilian life)

Recent stuff I've enjoyed:

Safety Not Guarranteed (really well done on a low budget)

Orphan Black (1st season 10 episodes) Bang bang bang... not a dull moment. Season 2 starts April 19th on BBCA and I can't wait.
Interesting list. I saw 2001 (1968) at the theater on it's initial release. Boy was I pissed. Just not what this 15 year old expected. I've come to view it as a work of art and in combination with 2010 an intriguing story including the redemption of Hal.

A Clockwork Orange really impressed me too with it's edge and a moral of sorts.

Cool Hand Luke was good.

Orphan Black
is setup to record.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:59 AM   #3429
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Gladiator (2000)- Russel Crowe's greatest role in a movie that deserved Best Picture no matter how fictional of a story it was.

Interesting list. I saw 2001 (1968) at the theater on it's initial release. Boy was I pissed. Just not what this 15 year old expected. I've come to view it as a work of art and in combination with 2010 an intriguing story including the redemption of Hal.

Cool Hand Luke was good.

Orphan Black
is setup to record.
I keep meaning to go back and watch Gladiator again, it's been a while. Also despite him apparently being a bit of a dick, Crowe sure as hell can act.

We saw the Desolation of Smaug again yesterday after buying the bluray. Low expectations coming into it (middle movie, mostly filler according to some), meant that it was a surprising good experience. I didn't realise Benedict Cumberbatch was the voice of Smaug. The role oddly suits him.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:29 AM   #3430
xlii
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Cool Hand Luke was good.

Orphan Black
is setup to record.
I turned 15 in 1968 also and saw it then also. We grew up at the dawn of the 'space age'. 2001 tech was how I imagined things would be in 2001. At school they bought TVs just to watch the manned and unmanned space news. The one that impressed me the most was watching Ranger crash into the moon and the movie it was sending back as the moon got closer and closer... and then that final halve frame.

----------

For those of you with access to Netflix there are so many foreign movies that we have enjoyed. To me they are the hidden gems of Netflix. Yes, you have to turn on subtitles.

It started with Ip Man 1 & 2. So give some of the 4+ star foreign movies a try.
Some of the Chinese, Scandinavian, Korean, Thai (Kingdom of War 1 & 2) are really well done. It's refreshing to watch a movie that wasn't made to please the American audience.
xlii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:04 AM   #3431
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
I keep meaning to go back and watch Gladiator again, it's been a while. Also despite him apparently being a bit of a dick, Crowe sure as hell can act.

We saw the Desolation of Smaug again yesterday after buying the bluray. Low expectations coming into it (middle movie, mostly filler according to some), meant that it was a surprising good experience. I didn't realise Benedict Cumberbatch was the voice of Smaug. The role oddly suits him.
Yeah, it's a amazing how famous actor's personal lives bleeding into the public adversely effects their careers. If you going to idolize someone, you don't want them to be a dick, not that I ever idolized any actor.

Peter Jackson's The Hobbit story has been a disappointment to me. The problem there is that I am a TH Book aficionado who takes exception to the LOTRosizing of the story along with numerous liberties taken. Of note, he did not do this with LOTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post
I turned 15 in 1968 also and saw it then also. We grew up at the dawn of the 'space age'. 2001 tech was how I imagined things would be in 2001. At school they bought TVs just to watch the manned and unmanned space news. The one that impressed me the most was watching Ranger crash into the moon and the movie it was sending back as the moon got closer and closer... and then that final halve frame.
I also remembering wow, in 33 years I'd like to go to our moon base! :P
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3432
albertfallickwa
macrumors regular

Saw The Grand Bupadest Hotel this weekend. Loved it. Totally witty and insightful and playful. Wes Anderson at his finest moment.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:45 AM   #3433
kazmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I finally had the pleasure of watching The Maltese Falcon for the first time, after having read about it so much from members here. I thought it was terrific, from the acting and dialogue to the storytelling and pacing.

----------

I'm also not a big fan of Joss Whedon or the first Avengers movie, despite all the positive reviews. It was entertaining, but overhyped, in my opinion.

To be honest, I know very little of the Avengers besides what's presented in the movies (I was a much bigger X-Men fan growing up), so I miss many of the connections that others would pick up on. Perhaps thats one of the reasons the Avengers' movies don't 'wow' me.

One thing I would've liked to see in Captain America 2 is more of the backstory of The Winter Soldier. Without going into spoiler territory, I'll say that he was just there, and they didn't really go in depth to explain what happened.
Maltese is pretty terrific. Glad you enjoyed it.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a bunch of tweaks on the comics, I was never into the Avengers myself. And MCU Thor is an utter snore so that was another reason why I don't remember much of that movie. Add Whedon and it's a complete black out.

I was more X-Men too, but I fell in fan woman love with the Winter Soldier as a result of stumbling into that initial story nine years ago. Naturally, I wanted a lot more with him in the film too.

I've since learned the WS film plot is largely based on the Marvel series, Secret Warriors with a pinch of the Winter Soldier (the character and his slightly tweaked origin) so that explains why the WS is peripheral.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:32 PM   #3434
twietee
macrumors 68020

Can't say that I don't like the fact that in two of the Avengers comics I'm pulling Cap died or was put to sleep. Not that big fan of Cap and his "speeches"

Started to see some (older) horror flics lately. Finished Fulci's House by the Cemetery yesterday and while it's a good piece of Italian horror schlock, which isn't genuinely scary in the first place (imo), I must say the ending really depressed me. Reminds me also a lot to some H.P. Lovecraft stories. Demons by Lamberto Brava was awesome, shot in West-Berlin during the 80s. Starts at the same metro station I took for years when going to school each day.. Also starring Tony the Pimp (Bobby Rhodes) who is probably the coolest .... in town.

Frigth Night was pure boredom. Can't fathom all the glorious praise it receives on imdb, must be nostalgia I guess.

Flesh For Frankenstein (aka Warhol's Frankenstein) is the perfect b-movie for me featuring young Udo Kier, Joe D'allessandro and directed by Paul Morrisey. Highly entertaining but sports some really bloody actions - kind of appropriate considering it's a Frankenstain flic. I prefer Blood for Dracular, which was shot directly afterwards and features almost the very same cast and both have a beautiful score and screenplay. Featuring the then 9yo Nicoletta Elmi who actually played within quite a few seminal horror flics (Profondo Rosso, Demons, this one).

Hallooween I+II, never seen before and not my favorites but not bad as well. Haunting score of course. I like the second movie even slightly better, but they form one piece of work anyway.

Probably forgot some flics but that's it for now. Stay tuned.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:30 PM   #3435
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
I finally had the pleasure of watching The Maltese Falcon for the first time, after having read about it so much from members here. I thought it was terrific, from the acting and dialogue to the storytelling and pacing……..

----------
What a wonderful treat was in store for you, then. Isn't it a rare and exquisite pleasure to be in a position to sit down and actually watch a piece of such utter cinematic perfection for the first time? I know the first time I saw The Maltese Falcon (over 20 years ago) I was completely bowled over.

This is a movie that is close to flawless; superb cinematography - is there a single sunny scene in the entire movie? A terrific, complex and morally ambiguous story - none of that blunt black-and-white monochromic morality nonsense - so beloved of the less sophisticated US film-makers here; deeply unattractive - but oh, utterly compelling - characters; fabulous actors to inhabit these dark roles (Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre…..)….great direction, outstanding script, all combine to make this an outstanding movie.

And, also, finally, a first on the silver screen, for in this movie, for one of the first times ever, we meet a character that is now so frequently portrayed on our screens that he/she is in danger of becoming a cliché - the morally conflicted investigator.

A modern classic - and a masterclass in how a motion picture can use angle, lighting, script, actors, pace, murky morality, nuance, complexity and conflict into a deeply compelling tale. This is what a movie should be (but so rarely is).

Quote:
The Maltese Falcon is one o f my favorite films.
…….
One of mine, too. Simply brilliant…..in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Just to break my annoying and repetitive pattern, I won't say anything about The Maltese Falcon...except I'm always glad when someone discovers this incredible film.
Well, as you, my good friend, appear to have decided - unaccountably - to take a self-inflicted vow of silence instead of using this opening to further explore one of your own favourite movies, and share your delight at the simple fact that it exists and was able to be made, I thought I would remedy this deficiency, and so I leapt - most happily - at the opportunity to heap yet more lavish praise on The Maltese Falcon in your absence…....

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertfallickwa View Post
Saw The Grand Bupadest Hotel this weekend. Loved it. Totally witty and insightful and playful. Wes Anderson at his finest moment.
I have heard several excellent reports of this, including from my brother, who recommends it highly. This is on my list of Must-See Movies when next I am home, which is - or should be - shortly.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:09 PM   #3436
Huntn
macrumors 603

Catching Fire (2013)- Part 2 of Hunger Games. This was much better than I had anticipated!

Thumbs Up!
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #3437
Zendokan
macrumors regular

watched Filth last Monday, a British/Scottish police-crime-comedy-drama (yip, that's a genre) starring James McAvoy (the young Professor X).

It's over the mental breakdown of a scheming, manipulative, misanthropic, Edinburgh Detective Sergeant. Great little movie that gave me a Clockwork Orange vibe.
Supporting actors are Jamie Bell and Eddie Marsan.

Eddie Marsan brings us to also to the 2009 film "The Disappearance of Alice Creed", also a movie that I can recommend.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #3438
Huntn
macrumors 603

Read an article in Entertainment Weekly about the 2014 reboot of Godzilla saying (paraphrased), "Godzilla has been done wrong plenty of times including the 1998 version" starring Matthew Broderick.

Huh? I love that movie. The Godzilla in the 2014 version has a decidedly retro man in rubber suit look and I'm not sure if I like that. Will have to see this movie to evaluate.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #3439
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The Maltese Falcon is one o f my favorite films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmac View Post
Maltese is pretty terrific. Glad you enjoyed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]What a wonderful treat was in store for you, then. Isn't it a rare and exquisite pleasure to be in a position to sit down and actually watch a piece of such utter cinematic perfection for the first time? I know the first time I saw The Maltese Falcon (over 20 years ago) I was completely bowled over.

This is a movie that is close to flawless; superb cinematography - is there a single sunny scene in the entire movie? A terrific, complex and morally ambiguous story - none of that blunt black-and-white monochromic morality nonsense - so beloved of the less sophisticated US film-makers here; deeply unattractive - but oh, utterly compelling - characters; fabulous actors to inhabit these dark roles (Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre…..)….great direction, outstanding script, all combine to make this an outstanding movie.

And, also, finally, a first on the silver screen, for in this movie, for one of the first times ever, we meet a character that is now so frequently portrayed on our screens that he/she is in danger of becoming a cliché - the morally conflicted investigator.

A modern classic - and a masterclass in how a motion picture can use angle, lighting, script, actors, pace, murky morality, nuance, complexity and conflict into a deeply compelling tale. This is what a movie should be (but so rarely is).
I watched it again last night (with subtitles this time), and it really is an excellent film in almost all aspects. Honestly, if it hadn't been for your high praises for The Maltese Falcon, I may have never seen it, so I'm grateful to you all for that.

In fact, it made me realize just how many fantastic classics I've completely overlooked, which is a shame because there are some real gems out there. There is a post I've bookmarked from a while back, I think written by Shrink, that listed several of these movies. I plan to use it as a starting point to watch those that I've missed out on.
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #3440
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601

Quote:
I watched it again last night (with subtitles this time), and it really is an excellent film in almost all aspects. Honestly, if it hadn't been for your high praises for The Maltese Falcon, I may have never seen it, so I'm grateful to you all for that.

In fact, it made me realize just how many fantastic classics I've completely overlooked, which is a shame because there are some real gems out there. There is a post I've bookmarked from a while back, I think written by Shrink, that listed several of these movies. I plan to use it as a starting point to watch those that I've missed out on.
Delighted that you loved it. It is superb, and set a template for anything (and everything) which attempted to explore the world of urban darkness seen through the eyes of a morally conflicted P.I. who stumbles into it.

Two more, then, that are absolute must sees before migrating to the afterlife - and my good friend Shrink will doubtless concur; these are Citizen Kane and The Third Man.

Before launching into a panegyric of praise, I shall make an espresso (or two). Expect a post - in due course - on these two classics. For this post, I will simply observe that you haven't lived - or understood - what cinematic perfection is - until you have seen them both.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion