Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I wanted to turn one of my images into something similar to this:

kKs3n.png

But, after looking online for tutorials I figured out that the image was probably an illustration rather than being a photoshopped picture. I didn't let this stop me and I began to draw out my picture to try and get a something which looked similar.

I ended up with this:

Katherine by acearchie, on Flickr

Wondered if anyone else had attempted to illustrate their shots and if so, any tips or tricks on the techniques they used?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm not at my computer right now, but Illustrator has a feature called Live Trace that does just this. It converts a photo into a vector drawing with a great deal of latitude. Anything from photo realistic to a simple line drawing.

Hit me a pm if you want me to mess with a photo for you.

Dale

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I'm not at my computer right now, but Illustrator has a feature called Live Trace that does just this. It converts a photo into a vector drawing with a great deal of latitude. Anything from photo realistic to a simple line drawing.

Hit me a pm if you want me to mess with a photo for you.

Dale

Thanks for the offer. If you are talking about "image trace" then that's what's been suggested in the design forums as well.

Going to give it another go sometime over the weekend as I have the full CS6!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks for the offer. If you are talking about "image trace" then that's what's been suggested in the design forums as well.

Going to give it another go sometime over the weekend as I have the full CS6!

Yes and good luck. It was Live Trace in CS3 where I learned it and Image Trace in CS6. Show us how it works out.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.