Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:58 PM   #201
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerofthegods View Post
I didn't say they don't sell them. Please re-read what I posted. The post I quoted was because the person misquoted and switched SALES for SHIPMENTS which are two entierly different metrics. Yes, they eventually (usually) sell them, and sometimes they write them off at a loss, like HP did for 99$ not so long ago... (hence shipments != sales)
It's mature platform. Watches coming soon.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:08 PM   #202
zephonic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
I'd like to see whatever 'commission' on Wall Street require for investors end units 'sold' to customers vs 'shipped'...this shipped vs sold is just too deceiving.

They can still report 'shipped' all they want...but they must also report 'sold' to consumer also.

Shipped is such a deceiving metric...look no further then the HP Touchpad. 750K-Million shipped...20K sold before the firesale.
Yup, in the 1990's this was a common trick in the record industry to help new albums achieve gold or platinum status by release time.

Press and ship a million units and you're platinum. The publicity that comes with a platinum debut leads to more sales.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion