Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old May 8, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
dskgolf
macrumors newbie

Updating iPod touch to 5.1.1 problem

I must apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong place, or if there is already a forum for this kind of thing.
iOS 5.1.1 was released yesterday, and I want to update my jailbroken iPod touch 4 with 5.1 currently installed. (I'm fine with losing the jailbreak, I just like having the latest version available) On my iPod I go into settings > General > Software Update and tap "download and install." It downloads the update, then gets about halfway through preparing the update before telling me "software update failed" "an error occurred downloading iOS 5.1.1." then gives me the option to close or go to settings.
How can I get the update to install OTA? I have already reset the network settings, rebooted it, and changed the DNS (multiple times). (I also can't figure out how to upload a screenshot with the message, if/when I figure it out i'll put one of the error on here)
dskgolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:42 PM   #2
dskgolf
macrumors newbie

Screenshot

Changed computers that I am using, lets me put the screenshot up now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069[1].png
Views:	52
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	338945  
dskgolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #3
IJewFish
macrumors newbie

I think that you can't update a jailbroken device threw settings, you have to use iTunes ...
IJewFish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:35 AM   #4
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJewFish View Post
I think that you can't update a jailbroken device threw settings, you have to use iTunes ...
Even then, you have to restore your iDevice by right clicking Restore and then selecting the ispw. of iOS you are currently running and then restore from back up. Then you can use iTunes or OTA to update your iDevice

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch