Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestSt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Norway
I'm making a new intro in Motion 4 (FCS3), ment for a motion graphics case presentation for my company.

What I'm trying to do:
I have two company logos, imported as .png with alpha. I've extruded the logos by adding a replicator, orginized as a line/box, with about 200 layers in order to make them solid (layers in replicator - not 200 .png layers). In other words, I've manipulated a 3D logo object.

The idea is to have a close-up 3D camera swooping over the logos, then zoom out and back in. Also, I'm going to add textures, lights, music/jingle, a couple of drop zones, and background.

My problem:
This is my first attempt at manipulating a 3D object, using this method. I've used the method with pure text, with no performance issues related to the text alone. However, it seems using the same method with an imported object/picture, bogs down my performance to the point where it's basically impossible to work in real-time. Also, when I make changes, and play back, it takes about 5 minutes to run through the 6 second segment (fans running wild). Only way to see how it's working out is RAM-preview, and thats to tiresome. I've only gotten as far as the first camera swoop, and I'm on the werge of giving up...

My Question:
Will upgrading to Motion 5 help me? I'm not super tech savvy, but I'm under the impression that 64 bit archtecture in Motion 5 might help my performance? Or is this basically a lack of RAM issue?

My Computer:
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)
■2.66GHz Intel Core i7 processor
■500GB (7200-rpm) hard drive x 2 (Opti-Bay E-SATA 2nd drive)
■8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (MAX)
■NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
■Intel HD Graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
■Automatic graphics switching

Upgrading my Mac is not option for at lest a year or so - I know it is coming of age, but I've never had performance issues such as this with any other project in FCS. I know a Mac Pro would solve the problem right away, but thats no option :)

Thanx!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)
■2.66GHz Intel Core i7 processor
■500GB (7200-rpm) hard drive x 2 (Opti-Bay E-SATA 2nd drive)
■8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (MAX)
■NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
■Intel HD Graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
■Automatic graphics switching

In my opinion, Motion 5 would definitely help, for three reasons:

1. It can access all 8GB of your memory. 32 Bit can only deal with 3 GB. And memory is what you need if the external media is slowing you down.

2. It has a much improved support for GPU rendering. And GPU rendering "rocks", especially on the nVidia graphics chip when you are dealing with 3D objects and images/videos.

3. Your CPU and motherboard can do 64 Bit, so things will run faster in 64 Bit. For Motion, this effect might only be small since most computationally heavy stuff is done on the GPU anyways.

Now, considering that Motion 5 is only $50 in the App Store, I would definitely recommend you to go for it. For this price, it is hard to find something that can match its capabilities. Just my two cents.

WestSt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Norway
It can access all 8GB of your memory. 32 Bit can only deal with 3 GB. And memory is what you need if the external media is slowing you down.

Now, considering that Motion 5 is only $50 in the App Store, I would definitely recommend you to go for it. For this price, it is hard to find something that can match its capabilities. Just my two cents.

Only 3GB... Well that explains why my RAM-upgrade helped out with just about everthing, but my FCS performance :)

Also, good point it's only $50. I had kind of forgotten how cheap it is. Are there many UI differences? If not, I'll gi for it!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Are there many UI differences? If not, I'll gi for it!

I haven't used Motion 4, but from what I've seen in tutorials, the interface has hardly changed, it looks identical in structure except for the optics. You can search any Motion 5 tutorial on youtube to get a glance at it. :)

WestSt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Norway
I haven't used Motion 4, but from what I've seen in tutorials, the interface has hardly changed, it looks identical in structure except for the optics. You can search any Motion 5 tutorial on youtube to get a glance at it. :)

Tanks! Much appreciated:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.