Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
So, I just can't believe that THAT is the victory that they were hoping for when they developed 3DTVs.

"Ah, whether you ever use it or not, it's in there, so 3D is a success!" doesn't sound like the industry coup they were hoping for 3 years ago when 3DTVs first started hitting store shelves.

Ya, they've moved on. 3D is no longer a selling point, it's just a feature. They are pushing 4K now along with a gradual shift to OLED.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This iteration of 3D you mean. Glasses-free will be what takes off.

Exactly. I watched much of the Olympics in 3D and it was the first thing that really looked sensational.* The only thing holding it back is if and when a company will come out with a decent glasses-free technology that both looks good and doesn't cause any dizziness/headaches.

(* well... I have found something else which looks fantastic in 3D, but this is a family forum so I'll say nothing....)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Ya, they've moved on. 3D is no longer a selling point, it's just a feature. They are pushing 4K now along with a gradual shift to OLED.

I will be waiting for a 4K/OLED set before I jump in, at about 80" +. I think Sony showed a 55" version of that combination at CES this year.

I'm in a nice position where I feel like I can stay with the TV I have before upgrading to 4K AND OLED.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
I caved in and bought a Samsung SMART tv, really happy with it, but I know I'm going to be kicking myself a year or so from now.

While I'm happy to upgrade my iPad/iPhone every year I see a TV as a longer term purchase (well, at least my wife does lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.