Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
michial
macrumors regular

Question regarding iphoto heat

Hello all. I have a 2012 MBP 15 inch base model with all stock specs. When I run iPhoto I notice the temps are around 175 F, especially when I was scanning my 17k iphoto library for duplicates with both iPhoto and ADD for iPhoto (like photosweeper)running for about an hour. All the temps were around 180 F. The GPU diode per istat seems to always be the most hot. When I surf the internet on safari with mail open its only around 90-95 degrees F. If this is normal I'm ok with it.

I removed adobe flash player and am wondering if I should get click to plugin or flash extension, or if this is normal Im good with it. My wife plays Sims 3 and it gets similar hot temps. I just get worried the insides will fry at those temps. At those temps I can even feel the warmth through my thin 1/2 inch logitech laptop pad. Thanks for the help! My wife and I love our new macbook pro so hopefully this is all normal.
michial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by michial View Post
I just get worried the insides will fry at those temps. At those temps I can even feel the warmth through my thin 1/2 inch logitech laptop pad.
Your temps are quite normal and they won't "fry" your computer. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
michial
macrumors regular

Thanks I have seen that cut and paste reply to all heat questions several times on this forum. It helps but more specific to my post, is it normal in running iphoto for the temps to go up that high? Is it ok to install adobe flash player and just accept it as normal or should one go to the lengths of click to plugin or flash?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks I have seen that cut and paste reply to all heat questions several times on this forum. It helps but more specific to my post, is it normal in running iphoto for the temps to go up that high? Is it ok to install adobe flash player and just accept it as normal or should one go to the lengths of click to plugin or flash?
Yes it is normal, you're pushing all your processor cores to their maximum calculation power, more power used = more heat, it's just that simple.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Yes, as I said, your temps are normal. That means they're normal for the workload you described. I use Flash on Safari with ClickToFlash to control which content plays, and I have zero issues with it. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life, so yes, it's normal to expect higher temps with Flash.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6
michial
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
Yes it is normal, you're pushing all your processor cores to their maximum calculation power, more power used = more heat, it's just that simple.
I had no idea iphoto and youtube/netflix usage is maxing out calculation power. This is a very capable i7 quad ivy bridge and Im not exactly rendering movies in Final Cut. I guess my understanding and expectations of these things is wrong. I'd rather be wrong then there be something wrong with me MBP though

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, as I said, your temps are normal. That means they're normal for the workload you described. I use Flash on Safari with ClickToFlash to control which content plays, and I have zero issues with it. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life, so yes, it's normal to expect higher temps with Flash.
Thanks! A couple questions:

Is it ok for my wife to play Sims 3? She has six disks of expansion packs and will play at moderate settings for an hour or two but it gets around 185-190 F. Yikes.

Which is the better program Click to Plugin or CLick to Flash?

Lastly, is it ok to reinstall Adobe Flash Player?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Is it ok for my wife to play Sims 3?
Of course it's OK.
Quote:
Which is the better program Click to Plugin or CLick to Flash?
Either. I've used both, but I currently use the ClickToFlash extension.
Quote:
Sure. Use the link I provided to get it from Adobe's site.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:12 AM   #8
michial
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Of course it's OK.

Either. I've used both, but I currently use the ClickToFlash extension.

Sure. Use the link I provided to get it from Adobe's site.
Thank you.We love this MacBook Pro. Its such a beautiful and smooth running machine! My local Applestore gave it to me for free. I had a 2011 iMac base model i5 2.3 model that was eligible for the HDD replacement program. Well, when I got my iMac back it was all screwed up. I asked if they could replace it with a new version of it. They said ok. I then said if its possible for a better iMac or even a MBP that would be awesome. SHe came back out with this 2012 15 inch brand new and did a free data migration too. Apple is awesome! Products, hardware and software!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:43 PM   #9
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I had no idea iphoto and youtube/netflix usage is maxing out calculation power. This is a very capable i7 quad ivy bridge and Im not exactly rendering movies in Final Cut. I guess my understanding and expectations of these things is wrong. I'd rather be wrong then there be something wrong with me MBP though [COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Youtube uses flash, so does netflix. Flash is a notorious resource hog. Give it more processing power, and it'll take more. This is the main reason a lot of mobile phones cannot play flash content, if they did, they'd overheat and drain their batteries like no tomorrow.

You may be interested in signing up for youtube in HTML5: http://www.youtube.com/html5 HTML5 is much more efficient and will heat your mac up a lot less.

A well programmed app such as iPhoto is meant to use all processor cores to the max of their abilities and for a very specific reason: time savings. The more power the program can effectively use, the faster it does whatever it has to do. You may not be rendering in Final Cut, but you're still pushing the machine. It assumes you want everything done ASAP, and you can't change that.

You can install flash player with no fear of damaging anything, I strongly suggest you keep it updated as well, Adobe has been working a lot in the last few years at making it more efficient, and each update seems to lower the processor load a bit.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:10 AM   #10
michial
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
Youtube uses flash, so does netflix. Flash is a notorious resource hog. Give it more processing power, and it'll take more. This is the main reason a lot of mobile phones cannot play flash content, if they did, they'd overheat and drain their batteries like no tomorrow.

You may be interested in signing up for youtube in HTML5: http://www.youtube.com/html5 HTML5 is much more efficient and will heat your mac up a lot less.

A well programmed app such as iPhoto is meant to use all processor cores to the max of their abilities and for a very specific reason: time savings. The more power the program can effectively use, the faster it does whatever it has to do. You may not be rendering in Final Cut, but you're still pushing the machine. It assumes you want everything done ASAP, and you can't change that.

You can install flash player with no fear of damaging anything, I strongly suggest you keep it updated as well, Adobe has been working a lot in the last few years at making it more efficient, and each update seems to lower the processor load a bit.
Thanks

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
2012 macbook pro, heat, heating, iphoto