Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Hi,

I got an iPhone 4S on the 14th and just transferred my number from my old network with my PAC code. Problem is, in settings>phone>my number: the number listed is the temp one that was used whilst waiting on my PAC code transferring! On the old iOS versions all you had to do was tap on "My Number" and it would allow it to be changed. This does not seem to work on the iPhone 4S with iOS 5.

Can anyone suggest what I can try to change it to my old number?

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Just in case anyone else is having this problem here's how I fixed it:
Settings > Messages > iMessage (turn off, then on) it tries to validate wrong number and after a few minutes it changes to the correct one and problems that I had been having are solved. Hope this helps anyone else! :)

Sammio2

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2008
Dude, you are a legend... I was having the exact same problem after porting my number over and this worked for me!! Thank you!

Laurencatherine

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Just in case anyone else is having this problem here's how I fixed it:
Settings > Messages > iMessage (turn off, then on) it tries to validate wrong number and after a few minutes it changes to the correct one and problems that I had been having are solved. Hope this helps anyone else! :)

Thank you so much! My friends and family have, over iMessage, been asking why I have a new number.. I assumed everything would convert after i'd transfered my old number with the PAC code!!! Thanks again

MrBungleBear

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
UK
I had the same problem, sort of. My iMessage and FaceTime both validate the correct phone number and work fine, and my caller ID number is correct, but My Number is still wrong in the phone settings and at the top of Contacts... I can't get it to change no matter what I do. Son't have a phone to do things to the SIM in, either...

Any further ideas?

55North

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I had the same problem, sort of. My iMessage and FaceTime both validate the correct phone number and work fine, and my caller ID number is correct, but My Number is still wrong in the phone settings and at the top of Contacts... I can't get it to change no matter what I do. Son't have a phone to do things to the SIM in, either...

Any further ideas?

Fairly desparate here too.

Messages and Facetime OFF. When ON, say 'waiting for activation'.

Phone 'My Number' UNKNOWN

What to do?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Fairly desparate here too.

Messages and Facetime OFF. When ON, say 'waiting for activation'.

Phone 'My Number' UNKNOWN

What to do?

Recently changed verizon number on iPhone and had same problem. A simple reboot of the iPhone fixed it.

Iphonemaniacful

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
A simple reboot does not worked for me, neither on my 4S nor 5... When Facetime/iMessage turned on: " waiting for activation " takes so long and weird sms arrives to my iPhone... But no activation by number, just by emails accounts...
What is it ??? Do I need to put the SIM into another iPhone where can I edit the phone number to the actual number ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.