Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
jk73
macrumors member

Question Notes — switching to iCloud better than using own mail account?

I've been using Notes for a long time, but I've had it set up with my IMAP email account rather than with iCloud. Are there any pros or cons to switching my Notes over to iCloud? Using my IMAP email account seems to be OK, except for the occasional duplicate note (which only seems to happen if the internet connection is spotty or if a note grows too large).

All feedback appreciated. Thanks.
jk73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk73 View Post
I've been using Notes for a long time, but I've had it set up with my IMAP email account rather than with iCloud. Are there any pros or cons to switching my Notes over to iCloud? Using my IMAP email account seems to be OK, except for the occasional duplicate note (which only seems to happen if the internet connection is spotty or if a note grows too large).

All feedback appreciated. Thanks.
Notes only saves to IMAP. If you use Notes with iCloud, it just makes a "Notes" folder on the iCloud IMAP server, and forces you to create an @icloud.com email address.

Notes on iCloud IMAP is no different than Notes on Gmail IMAP.

I moved from Gmail to iCloud in anticipation of Mountain Lion having iCloud notes ... then I learned it works with Notes on Gmail.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:12 PM   #3
C DM
macrumors G3

Can you create or edit notes in Gmail and have them appear in Notes on the phone?
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:25 PM   #4
jk73
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Notes only saves to IMAP. If you use Notes with iCloud, it just makes a "Notes" folder on the iCloud IMAP server, and forces you to create an @icloud.com email address.

Notes on iCloud IMAP is no different than Notes on Gmail IMAP.

I moved from Gmail to iCloud in anticipation of Mountain Lion having iCloud notes ... then I learned it works with Notes on Gmail.
Thanks for the feedback. If that's the case, I'll probably just stick to my current setup, as I don't have (or particularly want/need) an iCloud email address.

On a related note, I've only been using Reminders on my iPhone. If I want my reminders to start syncing over to my MBP, do I need an iCloud email address, or do Reminders sync via iCloud *without* the need for an iCloud email address? Thanks again.
jk73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Can you create or edit notes in Gmail and have them appear in Notes on the phone?
This !

Also, try a simple but very creative app called Notestand ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk73 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. If that's the case, I'll probably just stick to my current setup, as I don't have (or particularly want/need) an iCloud email address.

On a related note, I've only been using Reminders on my iPhone. If I want my reminders to start syncing over to my MBP, do I need an iCloud email address, or do Reminders sync via iCloud *without* the need for an iCloud email address? Thanks again.
Needs iCloud Account Sync (not only Apple ID!) otherwise its only stays on the phone.

Also, if you have Apple Computers like MBP/iMac then Notes on iCloud is better than any other imap based one because Mountain Lion comes with Notes & Reminder Apps integrated so works everywhere
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Tags
ios 6, iphone, notes app