Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annab921

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Hi I bought a new imac yesterday. I have an apple remote - it dos not work with the new machine. I was replacing a 2007 model that came with a remote.

The free remote app I got for my ipad will change volume on itunes, but will not allow me to advance watching a dvd, turn up the overall volume if I'm watching Hulu or netflix, etc. So I can't use an iphone, etc to change internet based media, overall volume/advance dvds, etc

do any of you know a way around this? I don't want to carry the keypad everywhere. seems like a strange design flaw.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Above post is accurate. The iMac no longer has an IR built in and therefor doesn't work with the remote.

VAvW

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and note that the two posts above are accurate.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Hi I bought a new imac yesterday. I have an apple remote - it dos not work with the new machine. I was replacing a 2007 model that came with a remote.

The free remote app I got for my ipad will change volume on itunes, but will not allow me to advance watching a dvd, turn up the overall volume if I'm watching Hulu or netflix, etc. So I can't use an iphone, etc to change internet based media, overall volume/advance dvds, etc

do any of you know a way around this? I don't want to carry the keypad everywhere. seems like a strange design flaw.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Even though remote doesn't work check the App Store for alternatives. I use remote hd and it works very well.

mac-monkey

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
I've just got off the phone to Apple support, having spent 40 minuters trying to get my Apple remote working - the support person was unable to check if the 2012 iMac actually includes an IR receiver.

Wish I had read this first :(

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The IR hasn't worked properly in iMac's for quite sometime .... even where there was still an IR receiver in them.

I forget what version of OSX it was but at some point support for that program the remote would fire up was more or less deleted.

I remember using mine and when I fired it up, it was only partially there.

For the life of me I cannot remember what that program was called but it allowed the remote to be used to access Movies, Music, Pictures and such.

EDIT: Though it does not start up that program I was referring to, I just pointed my old remote at my LATE 2011 27" iMac and it fired up ITUNES !!!!!!!

Cool, I didn't think that would work.

But it has LIMITED functionality .... so that isn't so cool after all!

Last edited:

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I've just got off the phone to Apple support, having spent 40 minuters trying to get my Apple remote working - the support person was unable to check if the 2012 iMac actually includes an IR receiver.

Wish I had read this first :(

Thats pretty disturbing . how can Apple Support not know that the new iMacs do not have an IR receiver ?

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
The IR hasn't worked properly in iMac's for quite sometime .... even where there was still an IR receiver in them.

I forget what version of OSX it was but at some point support for that program the remote would fire up was more or less deleted.

I remember using mine and when I fired it up, it was only partially there.

For the life of me I cannot remember what that program was called but it allowed the remote to be used to access Movies, Music, Pictures and such.

EDIT: Though it does not start up that program I was referring to, I just pointed my old remote at my LATE 2011 27" iMac and it fired up ITUNES !!!!!!!

Cool, I didn't think that would work.

But it has LIMITED functionality .... so that isn't so cool after all!

You're thinking of Front Row. That program was dropped in Lion, but some people got it working by copying files from Snow Leopard. Apparently it doesn't work at all in Mountain Lion.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/19/os-x-lion-kills-front-row-heres-how-to-get-it-back/

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Infrared is going away. Not in the new iMacs, not in the MBPR, not in the MBA. This is probably why they dropped Front Row. They want you to use an Apple TV or iOS device for entertainment, apparently.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thats pretty disturbing . how can Apple Support not know that the new iMacs do not have an IR receiver ?

Apple support isn't that smart, especially the 1st tier that answers the phone. All they do is look stuff up on the web just like you and I and try to push you off the phone. If they are not good researchers you'll get the wrong answers. Unlike the Geniuses at Apple Stores -- who have their own flaws -- the 1st level support staff have very little to no Mac experience or love for the product. They aren't fans, it's just a job to them, like a cashier at the grocery store. 99% of the people on the forum are more Mac savvy than them.

BaNkIck

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2010
Just received my new iMac. Just hating Apple.

Remote apps sucks. You cannot feel the buttons and I don't want to be looking the phone all the time while browsing my TV Shows or Movies or looking for the right subtitle.

Hating Apple right now for this. I can live without firewire (there are some thunderbolt adaptors out there), but not without IR Receiver.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Remote apps sucks. You cannot feel the buttons and I don't want to be looking the phone all the time while browsing my TV Shows or Movies or looking for the right subtitle.

Hating Apple right now for this. I can live without firewire (there are some thunderbolt adaptors out there), but not without IR Receiver.

Not bragging...but sort of am. This is just one of the reasons I'm glad I received my 2011 iMac before the new ones came out. Mine works perfectly with the Apple Remote. :)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Apple support isn't that smart, especially the 1st tier that answers the phone. All they do is look stuff up on the web just like you and I and try to push you off the phone. If they are not good researchers you'll get the wrong answers. Unlike the Geniuses at Apple Stores -- who have their own flaws -- the 1st level support staff have very little to no Mac experience or love for the product. They aren't fans, it's just a job to them, like a cashier at the grocery store. 99% of the people on the forum are more Mac savvy than them.

Second level support is not much better. I was having a problem with SMB volumes being ejected when my new iMac woke up from sleep (old one never had the problem) and the first words out of the mouth of the 2nd level "support" person were "we don't support SMB shares".

Idiots.

And... I fixed the issue myself with a workaround. Apple support are clueless.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Looks like you're going to have to live without one, unless you purchase an external one.

Not bragging...but sort of am. This is just one of the reasons I'm glad I received my 2011 iMac before the new ones came out. Mine works perfectly with the Apple Remote. :)

Not much of a reason to brag. The 2012 iMac has much greater performance than the 2011 model and a nicer design. Would prefer that over an IR receiver....

Htin

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
this sucks.. i hope they come out with a bluetooth aluminium remote

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
If you use Plex just download the Plex remote app to your iOS device. Works a charm! And very easy to use when you're selecting a tv/movie you want to watch as you can do it through the remote app.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
The video card on my 2007 iMac died and I just got a 27" iMac. The only thing I used the remote for on the old one was to pause iTunes when I got a phone call. It worked great for that.

So I waste some time trying to pair the remote with new iMac :(

I supposed I'll get used to fn-F8 but it was so easy to hit pause on the remote with one hand while I picked up the phone with the other...

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
One of the main reasons I bought an iMac was for the mirroring with my AppleTV. I was tired of using my MBP for this (wasn't always on, iTunes not running, etc.). I then find out the remote doesn't work with it. How absolutely stupid is that. Most of my TV watching is streaming from the internet via the iMac. When I have to pause something I have to jump up and go to the iMac to pause it. What happened to the Apple ecosystem parts playing so well together?

I called AppleCare and they told me it isn't in the new iMacs because it wouldn't fit. Really Apple? I'm sure it's not that (more like declining technology). If that is the case why wouldn't they ship a BT remote with the AppleTV (right hand not talking to the left).

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It's the same BS...

There's no way Apple could not make a Bluray USB external drive.

But Apple wants you to buy iTunes movies, musics and concerts instead of physical discs. Well then how about provide a cheap, unlimited 1Gbps internet connection for everyone on earth and then we're talking about these 'cloud' services?

There's no way Apple could not fit a tiny IR receiver into the new iMac chin.

But Apple wants you to use iOS remote app, which battery can't even stand a day after extensive use of it. While a dead simple old school IR remote can stand for YEARS WITHOUT RECHARGE with the same battery.

Yep, definitely one step forward and two steps back on technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.