Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 PM   #51
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhegrin View Post
sesnir, if you cannot afford this, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you, sesnir.

Likewise, if you think a BMW X6 is way too expensive, then don't buy one.
Wow, insecure much? Does it make you feel good to anonymously put people down?

Of course I can afford it, but there's no way a simple dock is worth $89. But go ahead and order it if you feel it's worth it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:39 PM   #52
TurkEclipse
macrumors newbie

These dont work with the iphone 5

Please dont buy these docks. They are a hassle and do not work even close with the iphone 5. Below is my email to Elevation Lab.

I ordered 2 of the iPhone 5 versions. I watched the lighting connector video before I ordered and it seemed that it would work. I couldn't wait for them to arrive. They arrived today and I have wasted the last 2 hours trying to get them to work with my iPhone. After about ruining my cables I got them in there and 1 phone, will work but to take it out I have to hold the base and I have to hold the bottom part of my 2 piece incase slider case otherwise it will separate from the phone. I really wanted them to work. I am sure these probably work perfectly with the 30 pin connectors, but they don't work with the iPhone 5. They are designed well but not for the iPhone 5.
TurkEclipse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:41 PM   #53
kthnxshwn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkEclipse View Post
Please dont buy these docks. They are a hassle and do not work even close with the iphone 5. Below is my email to Elevation Lab.

I ordered 2 of the iPhone 5 versions. I watched the lighting connector video before I ordered and it seemed that it would work. I couldn't wait for them to arrive. They arrived today and I have wasted the last 2 hours trying to get them to work with my iPhone. After about ruining my cables I got them in there and 1 phone, will work but to take it out I have to hold the base and I have to hold the bottom part of my 2 piece incase slider case otherwise it will separate from the phone. I really wanted them to work. I am sure these probably work perfectly with the 30 pin connectors, but they don't work with the iPhone 5. They are designed well but not for the iPhone 5.
Mine works.
kthnxshwn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:51 PM   #54
TurkEclipse
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxshwn View Post
Mine works.
A few posts ago you complained about the cable not fitting correctly. How did you get it to work?
TurkEclipse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:51 PM   #55
kthnxshwn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkEclipse View Post
A few posts ago you complained about the cable not fitting correctly. How did you get it to work?
Cable I got with my phone wouldn't fit. Went to my mother's house and tried that one, fit perfectly. One from my phone still doesn't fit, though.
kthnxshwn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:28 PM   #56
jaspreet19
macrumors newbie

for those of you who are having issues undocking your iPhone 5 with the lightning cable adapter supplied by elevation dock, everything works perfect, execpt you cant undock with one hand, when trying it lifts the entire dock up. so i took my lightning cable to the grinder and made it smaller take a look below..

jaspreet19 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:20 PM   #57
PecanEater
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspreet19 View Post
so i took my lightning cable to the grinder and made it smaller take a look below..

Does it help with the undocking? Major improvement?
PecanEater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:08 AM   #58
CarlJ
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanEater View Post
Does it help with the undocking? Major improvement?
I gave in and ordered the Lightning adapter after seeing the picture above, and did a similar mod (though with a very tiny file, because my Dremel is hiding somewhere), and it does make a considerable difference. Whether it's worth it to any given individual is sort of a judgement call...

The primary thing locking the phone in is the pins/bearings/whatever in the socket in the phone latching into the dimples on either edge of the plug. Lessening the steepness of the drop into dimple makes it not lock in as tightly. The flip side is, the more you file off, the greater the chance of the connector not aligning properly in the phone. That would be bad. So, the more you file off, the more you benefit, and the more you risk. Your call where to stop.

I played it fairly safe, left a little bit of the dimples showing, didn't file the sides all the way down. It's to the point where, instead of using two hands to remove the phone, I can grab it with one hand and use the pinkie of that hand to keep the base in place while lifting the phone up. I can live with that.

Had I found my Dremel, I likely would have ground tiny channels from bottom of the dimple up off the end of the connector, so the sides of the channel would still be full height, still fit in the socket the same way, but there would be much less tension on the socket's pins; they would just slide down the channel to the dimples. I may still do that at some point in the future (a $19 experiment).

Another thing to keep in mind is, the connector is a fairly close tolerance fit, and is tilted back at an angle that matches the tilt of the phone, leaning against the backrest. So lifting straight up doesn't work so well. Need to pull "up" in the same plane in which the phone is resting.

Also, while the Lightning plug is a fairly precise design (and manufactured to Apple-monitored tolerances) and the Elevations Labs Lightning adapter is a lovely engineered piece of aluminum, it's still easy to get them a tiny bit out of alignment. And half a degree off is hard to see when it's just the plug screwed into the adapter, but is much more obvious when you get everything screwed back together and the phone touches the back cushion of the stand on one side, but not on the other.

Getting the plug set to the right height in the stand is easy if you sort of put it together just friction fit, with the plug set way up, then push the phone down onto it in whatever case you use (if any; I've got a Noot iPhone 5 Bumper on mine), letting the combined phone/case push the plug down to its natural height, then disassemble and tighten things down. I didn't have any problem getting the cable to fit inside the base of the stand, BTW. It does need to do a right-angle-ish bend but it wasn't a problem. I suppose, if one wasn't using a case and thus was setting the plug lower (thus with the back of the plug intruding further inside the base), things could be a lot more cramped. But check the height you need, before just setting the plastic case of the plug flush with the red aluminum adapter. With a case, it works better raised up a bit.

One more tip, if you do remove metal, be really careful to thoroughly clean off all the microscopic metal shavings. Getting metal shavings pushed into the phone would be bad.

And that is far more than I'd intended to write...
CarlJ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:26 AM   #59
PecanEater
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJ View Post
I gave in and ordered the Lightning adapter after seeing the picture above, and did a similar mod ...
Carl, thanks for the great post. Very refreshing to have real content in a post. I'm expecting my Lightning adapter in the mail any day now. Based on your post, extending the side dimples with a Dremel seems like the best option. I don't have a Dremel but this is an excellent excuse to make a purchase one. It may be a while but I'll report back with my results.
PecanEater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:22 PM   #60
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

So It looks like lighting is going to be the new hdmi
Old Jun 2, 2013, 03:33 PM   #61
BobSpikman
macrumors newbie

Iphone 5 stabilizer

I 3d printed this Iphone 5 stabilizer to stabilize a simple lightning adapter. It is a very strong model which you can buy through Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/11104...l?li=modelEdit

Regards
BobSpikman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion