Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyfish.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Hello all, I am new to flight sims and am looking at getting a setup for light playing on my macbook pro. I was wondering which how people like x-plane and MSFS. Does anyone run MS Flight Sim using virtulization software either parallels or VMware and how is that experience.

Secondly what flight controls do people like? Saitek or CH for flight yokes and rudder pedals? A different brand? Thanks for the feedback.

collinmac

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
Chilliwack, BC
Definitely go with X-Plane for the following reasons.

1. It's native to mac and has full 100% open gl support
2. It's a more realistic flying experience, flight models simulate the real environment very well.
3. You will see very low framerates trying to run MSFS through virtualization as most do not have 100% 3d support. If you really wanted to, you would be better off using bootcamp.

In terms of controllers I prefer CH Products, they are very well built, albeit more expensive but there's that old adage you get what you pay for.

Check out http://www.x-plane.com, it has a great demo video and a ton of information!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.