Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
MannyGamazo
macrumors newbie

FFXI on MBP 2012 on Bootcamp Issues

Okay, I have spent a long time searching the web on how to get this happening.

Actually, I have installed the game on my bootcamp partition (I have Windows 7 Ultimate) however, none of the character models load up in game. I updated the Intel Graphics driver and nothing. Does anyone know of a fix?

Also, I purchased the Ultimate Seekers edition on Xbox 360 and I have the Ultimate collection on PC. Is there any way to download the Seekers expansion to my PC?

I hope someone can help
MannyGamazo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:17 PM   #2
MannyGamazo
macrumors newbie

Okay, so the better question to ask is should I use bootcamp or a virtual machine to run Windows for FFXI?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyGamazo View Post
Okay, so the better question to ask is should I use bootcamp or a virtual machine to run Windows for FFXI?
My inclination for any newer game, especially any demanding game, would be to reboot to Windows and play that way.

I am not familiar with the system requirements for this game but do they specify your GPU is supported? I would check that first unless you know already if you are having problems running it. Otherwise, make sure (do this anyway) that you have the most current Windows driver for that GPU installed. That is always a good idea for performance and compatibility reasons.

Lastly, I would not expect console and PC versions of a game to share assets. In other words, buying added content on the console side probably doesn't mean you can download it on the PC side but I could be wrong, particularly in the case of an MMO. Your best bet there is to check with the people that make the game or perhaps post on the official forums for it for an answer.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:31 AM   #4
MannyGamazo
macrumors newbie

The game has been out since 2003. My Macbook is a late 2012 model. This graphics card definitely meets the specs to run Final Fantasy XI on it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The game has been out since 2003. My Macbook is a late 2012 model. This graphics card definitely meets the specs to run Final Fantasy XI on it.
So you did verify this? I ask because EverQuest has been out since 1999 but today's edition has far steeper system requirements than the 1999 initial release did. Things change over time. World of Warcraft came out in 2004 but its system requirements have also risen over time as graphical enhancements have been made to the game. I would be surprised (but I don't claim to know) if Final Fantasy has had no graphical improvements made to it in a decade.

Maybe I am wrong about the above. I just checked the system requirements for the game on Steam and it certainly does not appear to be a demanding game at all. However, they do not list Intel GPUs as supported, just certain low end Nvidia and Radeon models and up. From that I'd expect a newer Intel GPU to be fine but it is only a guess.

In any event, getting the most current driver for the GPU in Windows might be some help. Which GPU is in that computer btw?

Last edited by Dirtyharry50; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:44 PM   #6
MannyGamazo
macrumors newbie

The laptop met the specs. Its the Intel HD 3000 GPU. For some reason, when the GPU is updated, it creates that problem. I had to roll back to the original driver and the character models load up now. I'm am making sure my other games still run just fine.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The laptop met the specs. Its the Intel HD 3000 GPU. For some reason, when the GPU is updated, it creates that problem. I had to roll back to the original driver and the character models load up now. I'm am making sure my other games still run just fine.
That was a good idea to try that. I've had to do a rollback in the past for a particular game and found that irksome but it did work. Then I went and updated after I was done with the game. I guess you won't want to do that given it is an MMO though. Hopefully in time whatever the driver bug is, it gets fixed. In any case, I am glad to hear it is working for you now. That's great. I love MMO games myself although I've never tried this one. Enjoy!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games