Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1
southpoleman69
macrumors member

T-Mobile unlock

just got a tmobile sim, popped it in my phone, and success, unlocked. swapped the sim into my wifes and im not getting the same results. any one experience this before? is it possible it is because now the sim is activated on my phone and am unable to use it to unlock hers? what other explanation is there?
southpoleman69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Why do you think the sim is responsible for unlocking your phone and why do you expect it to unlock your wife's phone?
deeddawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, like the poster said above me.
Sounds like your wifes iphone is not unlocked if it doesn't recognize or work or activate with the tmobile sim.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4
southpoleman69
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
Why do you think the sim is responsible for unlocking your phone and why do you expect it to unlock your wife's phone?
Used swiftunlocks, both are ready to be unlocked. Went to tmobile, guy said the same one should work for both, so therefore I assume it would. I put it in mine first and it said need to activate, once it went through I had tmobile service. Now in hers it says it is not recognizable. So I figured because now the sim I got is active, it won't work.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Akack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpoleman69 View Post
Used swiftunlocks, both are ready to be unlocked. Went to tmobile, guy said the same one should work for both, so therefore I assume it would. I put it in mine first and it said need to activate, once it went through I had tmobile service. Now in hers it says it is not recognizable. So I figured because now the sim I got is active, it won't work.
Looks like your wife's iPhone is still not unlocked, would try contacting swift unlocks.
Akack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I would try a restore with iTunes on her phone to see if the unlock goes through.
The sim doesn't matter.
You can use the same sim to activate any unlocked iphone.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:33 AM   #7
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
So just to clarify to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you purchased only ONE unlock code from swiftunlocks and the rep at T-Mobile said the same one should work for both iPhones? If so, then the rep was mistaken. You'll need to get a second unlock code for your wife's iPhone. The unlocks have nothing to do with the T-Mobile SIM card, but rather with your iPhone's IMEI number (which is unique to each device).
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:32 AM   #8
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Used swiftunlocks, both are ready to be unlocked. Went to tmobile, guy said the same one should work for both
Your first mistake was believing anything technical told to you buy a guy in a cellphone store. There's the occasional exception but in general take anything with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
You'll need to get a second unlock code for your wife's iPhone. The unlocks have nothing to do with the T-Mobile SIM card, but rather with your iPhone's IMEI number (which is unique to each device).
^^^^ This. Same SIM should work on any/all unlocked phones since it has nothing to do with unlocking the phone. Unlocking is device specific so if you didn't buy a 2nd code for your wife's phone you will need to. If you did buy a 2nd one, talk to swiftunlocks to find out why it didn't work.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:38 AM   #9
southpoleman69
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
Your first mistake was believing anything technical told to you buy a guy in a cellphone store. There's the occasional exception but in general take anything with a grain of salt.

^^^^ This. Same SIM should work on any/all unlocked phones since it has nothing to do with unlocking the phone. Unlocking is device specific so if you didn't buy a 2nd code for your wife's phone you will need to. If you did buy a 2nd one, talk to swiftunlocks to find out why it didn't work.
I do have 2 unlock codes, i emailed swiftunlocks and was told they are going to resubmit the code and to try again in the morning, which i am trying now, so ill see what happens. my point was maybe i got wrong information and thought once the sim was activated in my phone it couldnt be used to unlock the second phone even though i did buy the unlock code for it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Nope, the sim has nothing to do.
Wait till the unlock resubmits and try again.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:17 AM   #11
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

SIMs are not tied to a specific device. You can confirm this by taking the OLD SIM from your phone (the one you used before you unlocked) and putting it in your wife's phone. Her phone will recognize it, and when you call your old number, her phone will ring (assuming you didn't port your number to the new T-Mobile SIM).
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12
southpoleman69
macrumors member

Tried this morning all went well. Once at tmobile the manager tried upselling me 2 tmobile iphones due to the fact that there phones can run faster than an unlocked phone. Any truth to this or he just wanted to make 2 sales?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:24 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Tried this morning all went well. Once at tmobile the manager tried upselling me 2 tmobile iphones due to the fact that there phones can run faster than an unlocked phone. Any truth to this or he just wanted to make 2 sales?
Unfortunately its true.
The Tmobile iphone 5 will connect to HSPA+ in more places and thus giving you faster data speeds.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:37 PM   #14
southpoleman69
macrumors member

Well that sucks. Oh well im only staying on until the next iphone makes an appearance so im not to upset it as i have wifi at work and home. Just need to make calls obviously
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I hear you.
If you're around wifi most of the time then you'd be fine.
Tmobile has some nice prices compared to verizon and AT&T.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:14 PM   #16
southpoleman69
macrumors member

does it make more sense to use att go phone plan? i hear users are only getting about 60-70% of the quality contract users are getting? not looking to get on another contract until at least the new iphone comes out
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:38 PM   #17
southpoleman69
macrumors member

So if i have a tmo sim card, and pick up a gophone sim card for 10 bucks just to see if theres a major difference for my daily activities, popping in the att card and activating is not going to do any damage to my tmobile number and plan correct? Because its all sim based. I can just take my att card and have my number and service from tmobile
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:45 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
So if i have a tmo sim card, and pick up a gophone sim card for 10 bucks just to see if theres a major difference for my daily activities, popping in the att card and activating is not going to do any damage to my tmobile number and plan correct? Because its all sim based. I can just take my att card and have my number and service from tmobile
Yes, that's the beauty of gsm carriers.
You can just pop in any sim and use any phone number or carrier you want with no probs.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone