Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Because of the ideal size of the Mini, I find myself holding it a lot more like a phone than my iPad. My hands and fingers always tend to be at the bottom of the device in portrait mode and it seems such a hassle (FWP) to readjust my hands to navigate forward and back in Safari. Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited:

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
The point was it to run the iPad software. You can't move the navigation for the mini to the bottom without moving the full iPad's navigation to the bottom also. With all the other full iPad features you get, i don't think this is much to fuss about. Compromise.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I like that idea. I really think Apple should allow slight variations in apps between the mini and regular iPad. If the developer doesn't want to do anything, then fine, but if they want to make apps that were originally made for a 10 inch screen slightly more usable on a 7.9 inch screen they should be able to!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think the navigation buttons (specifically back, forward, and home) should be on the bottom of the screen, or in the top RIGHT corner. Most people are right handed (meaning they hold the ipad with their left hand and navigate with the right), and reaching completely across the screen to go back a page doesn't feel natural or efficient.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I wish you can just swipe up and get the navigation on the bottom. Then auto-hides after you tap on one of the buttons.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think the navigation buttons (specifically back, forward, and home) should be on the bottom of the screen, or in the top RIGHT corner. Most people are right handed (meaning they hold the ipad with their left hand and navigate with the right), and reaching completely across the screen to go back a page doesn't feel natural or efficient.

Exactly. Out of any position, I feel it's set in the least desirable place.
The point was it to run the iPad software. You can't move the navigation for the mini to the bottom without moving the full iPad's navigation to the bottom also. With all the other full iPad features you get, i don't think this is much to fuss about. Compromise.

Don't AT&T, Verizon, etc. have slightly different variations to their software because of available features? I don't see why they couldn't... I highly doubt the iPad and the Mini run the same exact ipsw package, though I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

For example, an AT&T customer won't see the below image but a Verizon one would.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 90

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Because of the ideal size of the Mini, I find myself holding it a lot more like a phone than my iPad. My hands and fingers always tend to be at the bottom of the device in portrait mode and it seems such a hassle (FWP) to readjust my my hands to navigate forward and back in Sadari. Anyone else feel the same?

Yes I agree iPad navigation in general should be on the bottom. Apps such as Flipboard need to move their navigation to the bottom as well.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
the newspaper I subscribe to via the iPad has moved the navigation to the bottom in its last update. Its much better!

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
What newspaper is that? Thanks

german paper süddeutsche zeitung. they moved navigation from top to bottom two weeks ago after many users requested it. but i don't whether the requests came fro mini users.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
doesn't bother me at all right now. Never really thought about it being any where else to be honest. If they change navigation on the iPad I'd like to see two finger swipe(Safari OSX) added instead of them moving the bar.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
doesn't bother me at all right now. Never really thought about it being any where else to be honest. If they change navigation on the iPad I'd like to see two finger swipe(Safari OSX) added instead of them moving the bar.

Do you have a Mini or an original iPad?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
My immediate thought was that you would accidentally go back and forward all the time. I think that it would make it more frustrating rather than less.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Don't AT&T, Verizon, etc. have slightly different variations to their software because of available features? I don't see why they couldn't... I highly doubt the iPad and the Mini run the same exact ipsw package, though I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

For example, an AT&T customer won't see the below image but a Verizon one would.

Well yeah. It's different *added* software for the cellular models but what your asking for is a modification of software. Sure it wouldn't be hard for apple to do something like that but Apple doesn't want to because they want to keep it as close to the full iPad experience as possible. It also means more coding work because of more models. Right now the iPad mini is a shrunken iPad (full) which means the code is the same. By modifying something like this that means coding for another device. With everything else being the same as the big iPad, it makes more sense to not have to go through the trouble of having to add something like that. It's more convenient for them even though it is less for you.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yah you try atomic browser. They have the navigation buttons on the bottom and its actually helpful. Wish the back buttons were down there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.