Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomasmekean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I purchased a Digistor External Blu Ray burner to backup some of my older BluRay's that do not have a digital copy. I am only getting 1.5X ripping speed and it was going to take over 4 hours to back up my Blu Ray. I ended up just buying it of iTunes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase? I want a good solid external Blu Ray for my RMP.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
1.5x ripping speed that was gonna take 4 hours? :confused:

What software were you using? Did you try MakeMKV? Usually takes me around half an hour to an hour to backup my blu-rays

EDIT - I have some cheap no-name blu-ray drive from Amazon and it works swimmingly.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You may want to think about all the factors in ripping blu-ray to an external device. Inside the MBP are several factors (CPU, memory, disk), as is the burning speed of the writer. Don't forget the I/O port. USB 2 is probably the worst choice here.

Tomasmekean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have the RMP with a 2.7 Ghz 16GB 768SSD. I was using a Digistor external Blu-Ray and the disc was 35GB. The max speed the rip went was 1.5x. I stopped after 45 mins and it still said it required 3 hours and 15 mins to complete. I just went to BestBuy and purchased the LG drive and it ripped the disc in 26mins and 54 seconds. Also the software I was using was MakeMKV.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Could anyone comment on this drive? Reviews seem OK and I generally trust Samsung. I'm looking to backup my BluRay collection via my MacBook. Which software does everyone use to rip? Does OSX natively play BluRay?

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Could anyone comment on this drive? Reviews seem OK and I generally trust Samsung. I'm looking to backup my BluRay collection via my MacBook. Which software does everyone use to rip? Does OSX natively play BluRay?

I have had this unit for approx 4 months works fine, no problems. I used it to rip my blurays using makemkv. Keep in mind this unit requires 2 usb slots to work as it needs 2 for a decent amount of power. So just make sure you are aware you need a couple free slots that are close together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.