Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which remote desktop app? and Why. (in alpha order)

• Connect to PC

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Desktop Connect

Votes: 33 8.8%
  • iTap RDP Client

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • LogMeIn Ignition

Votes: 162 43.2%
  • RDM+

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • WinAdmin iPad edition

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • Wormhole Remote

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wyse Pocketcloud

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • I switched from _____ to ______

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Other (see my post)

Votes: 108 28.8%

• Total voters

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I've been using LogMeIn Ignition since 2009, and really love it. Not to mention, the iPad app has greatly improved over the past 18 months.

photonic

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Which apps work with multiple monitors?

I've been using iTap for over a year, and was pretty happy with it. But I now have a 3 monitor setup with OS X Lion, and it gets horribly confused. There is a huge offset (probably a screen) between the actual pointer position and where iTap thinks it is. It is totally unusable, and the developer does not respond. Be warned. (I suspect it would be ok if I did not need to reasssign the order of monitors, but I can't avoid it)

So what are my alternatives? Is anyone successfully using any of these clients with a multi monitor OSX setup? Does it still work if you switch the monitor order in settings?

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I need an RDP app for my iPad2 that would allow me to use both the on screen keyboard and the Apple Bluetooth keyboard without having to turn on or off the bluetooth connection to gain access to the on screen keyboard.

I'm currently using 2X Client RDP and I have to turn off the bluetooth in order to get the onscreen keyboard to work. I work as a physician so when I'm not at my desk, I need to be able to access the on screen keyboard.

I should also add that I need the RDP to log into the server at work.

Last edited:

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
Signed the wife up for Logmein and she really likes it so far. The hope is if she is meeting a client and needs a photo album she doesn't have she can just log on. Also when she is at work and needs something she can view it.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I lick pocketcloud just because I don't have to install anything on the computer. It seems like with logmein you have to install their program. Seems like a potential security leak to me. With the VNC protocol, it's built into your mac and you don't need to install anything, so why should I? What does logmein provide that a regular vnc screen sharing connection does not provide?

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I lick pocketcloud just because I don't have to install anything on the computer. It seems like with logmein you have to install their program. Seems like a potential security leak to me. With the VNC protocol, it's built into your mac and you don't need to install anything, so why should I? What does logmein provide that a regular vnc screen sharing connection does not provide?

I have tried most of them that you can try for free except logmein and they are all super slow compared to Spashtop. Spashtop is fast enough to play direct 3d games on.

I have yet to find a native rdp/vnc that is fast enought to be usable. I am on a 5ghz - n / gigabit network so that should be fine and my machines are super fast and I am on an ipad3.

For example it is faster for me to use splashtop to my desktop then connect to my server (Linux, perhaps not as good as the Mac vnc servers, not sure) via vnc than it is to use any of the vnc native clients!

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
With the VNC protocol, it's built into your mac and you don't need to install anything, so why should I? What does logmein provide that a regular vnc screen sharing connection does not provide?
Why not take a look at their site? Should is up to you to determine.

mwfielder

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
I use iTap for work, and it works great. I'm a doctor, and I use it to access my office EMR (electronic medical record) to use my iPad in patient rooms.

However, I have a problem, and I'd like to see if any of you can help.

I use the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard and type in entries. (i.e., flu symptoms for 1 week, helped with Tylenol, etc...) When I go to examine the patient, I need to set the iPad down. Ideally, I'd like to close the cover to set the iPad down and protect the screen. Or when I set it down in my hallway, I'd like to close the screen to protect the confidential information on my screen.

When I close the cover or turn off the screen---it loses connection to the server. When I turn the iPad back on or open the cover, iTap will reconnect to the server, but my application has closed. I have to re-enter the server, find my program, open it, and log back in. Big PITA to do that everytime I close the cover.

Any way around this?

heroinsoul

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
If we talk about free RDP clients I would mention TeamViewer and LogMein.
If we are talking about paid native remote desktop apps, I would select RDM+ application with its simple interface and excellent quality (stable connection, fast response). Another great thing about RDM+ is that you may also use it as a wireless touchpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.