Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I prefer having my camelbak on my back when I mountain bike. Reason for it is it holds more water, the package can carry more gear and I like having the extra mass near my center as it is easier to control and shift the weight with my body. On the bike it gets tossed around a little more making control a little harder.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I've always used bottles… a plastic and a metal one… personal preference, I prefer the lower centre of gravity and counter balance they provide, and easy to top up in streams too.

I also prefer their versatility over bladders on multi-day treks into the hills. You can use them to measure ingredients, the metal one is rated to allow you to boil water, saves carrying excess stuff in the rucksack (more weight, loss of efficiency, increased fatigue) and you don't have to worry about shouldering either.

Like I said though, personal preference.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I use bottles. Since I have an hardtail I can have two, and I prefer to have less on my back (which means cooler temperature), at the price of having to swallow a bit of dirt from time to time. Anyways, it's full of minerals :p

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Cheers guys :)Put in an order for a bladder (3L Hydrapak fwiw).

I'd love to be able to head out for a day without anything on my back, but always have a backpack in colder weather. Worth a punt and if I get mineral deficient can always stop off for a mudbath :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.