Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I just passed this by my white hatted, 'network security handy' friend. He dug into it and it seems that this is a simple issue of akamai.net (a well established content delivery company) using a certificate that has Facebook's name in it, instead of theirs. Nothing to worry about, as far as he can tell.

More specifically, he says "it is probably an akamai ad hoping you're an iPad user with Safari instead of the Facebook app.
It probably is an add for you to download the FaceBook app IF you are using Safari with an iPad....It's a setup error. It's a BAD setup error that makes Akamai look like dummies."

It looks like the issue may already have been resolved, server-side.

Thanks.. I was curious and worried as I did not have this problem before. I get into Hong Kong and the second day on wifi I start getting this every time I switch tabs,refresh a page or open a new page up. Very irritating because it just keeps popping right back up in the middle of the screen.

Never ever did trust Facebook so I did not download their application onto my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 402

expy

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Screen shot of static.ack.facebook when on MR

This pops up when I access Macrumors on my iPhone 5. I have deleted Facebook, cleared safari and rebooted but this still pops up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 155

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
judging from threads after a google search, seems like this has been an issue for years. some say its a visited site thats somehow connected to FB, either through a comment box or ad, that has a poorly written script.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
I have been getting this as well when going to macrumors.com. Cleared cache and cookies and quit accepting cookies, but still get it on two different Internet providers.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well a lot of articles on MR have the "Like" button linked to FaceBook hence the need for FaceBook connectivity. As for the certificate, well FaceBook uses Akamai for content distribution, so it's possible it was just an oversight.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm assuming that the people who are continuing to panic or think "virus" about this even after several posts confirming that it's a certificate problem completely external to their system are because they're from separate threads being merged into this thread.

This is sort of an aside, but here's something you definitely don't want to do: Since the certificate authority that issues Akamai's certificates is GTE CyberTrust, I was sort of wondering if maybe there was something wrong with their root certificate, so I was messing around with the Root Certificates in Keychain, and made the dumb mistake of deleting GTE CyberTrust. This of course renders any certificate issued by them invalid, which is to say anything at all run through Akamai--which is a LOT.

Since a lot of sites (eBay and Facebook, to name a couple) use Akamai's CDN to distribute their static content (images and CSS), trying to load an HTTPS page on those sites without a GTE CyberTrust root certificate results in a page with no styling or images--just the plain HTML. Which is pretty much unusable.

And since I can't find a way to get the MacOS to refresh its list of Root Certificates manually, I ended up needing to manually find, download, and install a certificate for GTE CyberTrust. I'm not sure if Akamai already worked out the Facebook thing, but if not it apparently fixed that.

Point being, don't be an idiot and mess with your root certificates.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Still getting it on my iphone 5 using Safari, but no longer getting it on my MBP.

Annoying but hopefully they will get it fixed soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.