Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Sep 15, 2006, 05:28 PM   #1
mulletman13
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mulletman13
SD Card Data Recovery? :(

Hey guys,

Just got back from my trip to California and had a GREAT time, however my friend ran into a problem out there.

He kept a TON of photos on his SD card from about January, and when he deleted them, he did it through the in-camera system. In any case, now the card does not show up when plugged into a PC or Mac... and the camera gives a read error whenever it is turned on with the card in.

We are currently looking at a few Data Recovery services, but it is a 1.0gb SD Card and the places that I have seen want about $125 for this. This is a lot more than I was expecting, and I'm curious if anybody can offer some advice. Other services, or any other cheaper alternatives.

Thank you very much,

Ken
Old Sep 15, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
iGary

So the images were never downloaded to the machine?

You may be able to recover the image files with TechTools or another application, but the cost is similar to what you have been quoted.

Always, always, always:

Burn a CD or DVD of the contents of your CF or SD cards before you do ANYTHING else.

Saves heartbreak, guaranteed.

Good luck.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:40 AM   #3
Cloud9
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Cloud9
Filejuicer
Cloud9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 03:23 AM   #4
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

You can also use DataRescue for that: it is designed to recover data and unlike DiskWarrior, only reads of the damaged volume. I've successfully recovered image files from a memory card with it.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:07 AM   #5
compuwar
macrumors 601

Try Data Rescue- if it can recover images in demo mode, then buy it.

Paul
Old Apr 7, 2011, 09:00 AM   #6
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

The nice thing about Data Rescue is that it's the best data recovery tool for the Mac out there, bar none! It is not limited to memory cards and recovering images and has saved my bacon on two occasions. It's well worth the money!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
jammiefreerider
macrumors regular

I use PhotoRec Its free but a bit disconcerting to use at first but does a suprisingly good job. I always end up recovering more than I was expecting. You will find the original filenames are gone so you have to manually sort it out, but at least you get everything back
jammiefreerider is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 04:38 AM   #8
MitchT1966
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The nice thing about Data Rescue is that it's the best data recovery tool for the Mac out there, bar none! It is not limited to memory cards and recovering images and has saved my bacon on two occasions. It's well worth the money!
I can only confirm: just killed almost 100 pictures when "playing" with an SD and my iPad. Thanks to DataRescue 3 I was able to recover all accidentally delete pictures. Great tool!
MitchT1966 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:57 PM   #9
AgRacer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiefreerider View Post
I use PhotoRec Its free but a bit disconcerting to use at first but does a suprisingly good job. I always end up recovering more than I was expecting. You will find the original filenames are gone so you have to manually sort it out, but at least you get everything back
Ditto.
AgRacer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:17 AM   #10
Hylimasda
macrumors newbie

Be patient. If you're using a program that supports deep scanning at the cost of a slower recovery process, use it. The speed of this type of scan depends on your system's CPU rather than its I/O, as most of the work involves matching file signatures and checking for false positives. If you're in a hurry, run a deep scan using the fastest machine you have access to.

Other solution is: Try Viboosoft Card Data Recovery, Google it.

Last edited by Hylimasda; Aug 4, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Hylimasda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Windows Expat
macrumors member

I've had good luck with a program called Card Rescue. Not too pricey either.
Windows Expat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:56 PM   #12
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylimasda View Post
Be patient. If you're using a program that supports deep scanning at the cost of a slower recovery process, use it. The speed of this type of scan depends on your system's CPU rather than its I/O, as most of the work involves matching file signatures and checking for false positives. If you're in a hurry, run a deep scan using the fastest machine you have access to.
The OP asked the question in 2006... so I expect that patience is no longer the major issue.

BTW: Despite my tongue-in-cheek response... your advice is good.

For those who have not run across this issue... I recommend using "mirrored mode" if your camera supports dual SD cards. I also recommend backing up your pictures to a computer nightly... and not erasing SD cards until you know everything is imported and backed up. For me, this happens at the end of a trip once I am home, and everything is saved on my iMac.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:38 AM   #13
nissan.gtp
macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, and used Klix from Joesoft (now Prosoft) after trying a bunch of free tools. Klix worked perfectly and recovered all the files.

Good luck.
nissan.gtp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
mahmudd29
macrumors newbie

Many 3rd Party Softz are there for this task. Your work is to just find the right one. Just search a bit.
mahmudd29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Blank10123
macrumors newbie

umm , why is this not locked if the OP was from 2006 ?
Blank10123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:39 AM   #16
Judith123
macrumors member

I think I found the answer I want. Thanks guys!
Judith123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography