Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aj09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Hi,

Problems started when videos I'm watching (short clips) stop half way lately. Then today my Sophos Antivirus can't update for the first time- been using it for 3 years now. I uninstalled my adobe flash player then tried to install the latest version but can't seem to complete the download. It says image data corrupted. I also uninstalled the Sophos and downloaded it. Same thing happened. Please help!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

Problems started when videos I'm watching (short clips) stop half way lately. Then today my Sophos Antivirus can't update for the first time- been using it for 3 years now. I uninstalled my adobe flash player then tried to install the latest version but can't seem to complete the download. It says image data corrupted. I also uninstalled the Sophos and downloaded it. Same thing happened. Please help!

I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

Aj09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

Thanks for the info. However, when I tried to download clamxav, same thing happened- Download incomplete and image data corrupted. What should I do? Please advise

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the info. However, when I tried to download clamxav, same thing happened- Download incomplete and image data corrupted. What should I do? Please advise
Here are a few things to try, if you haven't already:

Restart your Mac. That solves many minor problems.
Verify/repair your drive with Disk Utility.
Verify/repair permissions with Disk Utility.
Clear your browser's cookies and cache.
Make sure you have a current backup of your drive, to protect your data in the event of a drive failure.

If you're uninstalling an app, make sure you remove all files related to the app. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Hi,

Sophos and Flash. Both :)
You can consider yourself happy that your Mac is still running at all. Stop installing crapware.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

Just don't use any anti virus software, you don't need it.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
If everything you download lately is corrupted, I would suggest you check out your modem/router for problems - it may be breaking down under load.

As for Antivirus, all the above posters are correct - Clamxav only, if at all.

Last edited:

alexjohnson073

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
- In my views you are not able to install Adobe player software because some maliciou

In my views you are not able to install Adobe player software because some malicious infections are present in your system. If your antivirus is not able to detect the issue (as it is not able to take any updates) and remove it; then you should try doing so with the help of some other security tool. You can choose any of the popular tools available like Immunet Plus, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast etc. Change your system settings to default and then scan your computer completely. If any virus is present then it will be easily quarantine.1f712fb133c&p=17845174#post17845174

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In my views you are not able to install Adobe player software because some malicious infections are present in your system.
That is not true. Please read the link in post #2. There are no OS X viruses in the wild, and only a few Trojans, none of which will produce the symptoms that the OP described. It doesn't matter how many antivirus apps you try, they won't find anything, because the OP's issue is not related to malware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.