Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
bobright
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Time Machine and CCC users do you still keep a separate set of your data?

So I am in the process of having all my music and photos backed up to the Mac and doing regular back ups. I had a question though do you guys keep a sepearate set of your files outside of these backup methods? e.g since my music is backed up in one of these methods delete the mp3s
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Do you mean, "since I have the files on another drive, I can take them off this one"?

If that is the case, certainly not. It misses the point of backups- if one drive fails, the other has the backup.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Do you mean, "since I have the files on another drive, I can take them off this one"?

If that is the case, certainly not. It misses the point of backups- if one drive fails, the other has the backup.
I'm saying do you keep say a separate standalone folder in addition to the backup with all the same data that is in your backup?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
I have a Time Machine backup and Carbon Copy Clone on one drive with separate partitions

I have another Carbon Copy Clone on another drive

I have most everything in Dropbox as well
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Matador Red
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
OP, are you asking if we delete the originals after backing up or are you asking if we have originals and 2 backups?

If you delete the originals from your drive, time machine will remove them from your backup.
Matador Red is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040
 
Designer Dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folding space
My Aperture Library lives on three drives. The data drive in my Mac, an external that backs that drive up and another separate drive with just my Pictures folder. I still feel like I'm missing something since they are all on-site drives.

I gave up on Time Machine and use only CCC.

Dale
__________________
How to Post, Quote and Multi-Quote Photos - My Google Docs Folder 12/2011
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
Designer Dale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador Red View Post
OP, are you asking if we delete the originals after backing up or are you asking if we have originals and 2 backups?

If you delete the originals from your drive, time machine will remove them from your backup.
No, not taking about the original files on the Mac. I'm saying say you have an external with a Time Machine backup of your iMac. Do you also have another external with all your files as well like a manual backup with folders for music/photos etc by themselves?

I'm basically saying do you backup to an external and also keep all your data files by themselves as well on another drive (outside of using a backup program).
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I have a Time Machine backup and Carbon Copy Clone on one drive with separate partitions

I have another Carbon Copy Clone on another drive

I have most everything in Dropbox as well
Hmm so there's really no need for a seperate location with a folder of all your backed up stuff? I'm guessing a TM and CCC backup should be enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
My Aperture Library lives on three drives. The data drive in my Mac, an external that backs that drive up and another separate drive with just my Pictures folder. I still feel like I'm missing something since they are all on-site drives.

I gave up on Time Machine and use only CCC.

Dale
This is why I was asking if its a good idea to keep the files alone someplace else outside the backup. Do you do this as you're scared the backup might get mucked up somehow?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
swiftaw
macrumors 603
 
swiftaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Omaha, NE, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Hmm so there's really no need for a seperate location with a folder of all your backed up stuff? I'm guessing a TM and CCC backup should be enough?

This is why I was asking if its a good idea to keep the files alone someplace else outside the backup. Do you do this as you're scared the backup might get mucked up somehow?
But this is only a problem if both the backup and original "get mucked up" at the same time. As long as you check the integrity of your backup regularly you should be fine in the event that you lose the original.

However, I keep a TM backup and a CCC backup, since the TM backup is useful for accidentally deletions but the CCC backup is more useful in the case of the original HD failing. I keep the CCC backup at work (and just bring it home 1 night a week to make the actual backup).

I also have my important documents and pictures backed up to the cloud (box.net) for an additional precaution.
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #10
metssuck
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I use www.crashplan.com for my online backup. Everything is stored there as well as on other backup drives.
metssuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:11 PM   #11
boto
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Time Capsule for Time Machine backups and a 3.0 external hard drive using CCC is all I need to retrieve any important information. People should really consider Apple's Time Capsule solution for backups. Sure, it may be slow when transferring data or backing up from it, but the seamless usage makes it all worthwhile for the price and features.
__________________
iMac 27" 3.4Ghz, GTX 680MX, 1TB FD, 32GB RAM | rMBP 2.6Ghz/16GB RAM/256GB | 16GB iPhone 5 White | 16GB iPad 3rd Gen White | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
boto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:22 PM   #12
iLondoner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
I have automatic backup from MacBook Air and iMac onto a Time Capsule on the network and ever so often I take a Time Machine backup onto a USB drive that I then store in the garage.

That way I could recover if there was a house fire—the garage is at bottom of the garden, not integral with the house.

Last edited by iLondoner; Dec 20, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I have a Time Machine backup and Carbon Copy Clone on one drive with separate partitions
Just curious: what's the reason for having two different backups on one drive? If the drive fails, won't you lose both backups?
Ubele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:39 PM   #14
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubele View Post
Just curious: what's the reason for having two different backups on one drive? If the drive fails, won't you lose both backups?
As swiftaw stated above, TM is great for accidental deletions and going back for versions and stuffs

CCC is great for a catastrophic failure and is bootable

I keep both on the same drive because they are for different purposes
I keep an additional CCC on a separate drive in case of failure of the first backup drive
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #15
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
2012Tony2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I creaated 8 partitions on my external USB Hard drive and only use CCC to make backups on different dates. I don't bother with Time Machine at all!
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
As swiftaw stated above, TM is great for accidental deletions and going back for versions and stuffs

CCC is great for a catastrophic failure and is bootable

I keep both on the same drive because they are for different purposes
I keep an additional CCC on a separate drive in case of failure of the first backup drive
Got it thanks!
Ubele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:04 PM   #17
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
As swiftaw stated above, TM is great for accidental deletions and going back for versions and stuffs

CCC is great for a catastrophic failure and is bootable

I keep both on the same drive because they are for different purposes
I keep an additional CCC on a separate drive in case of failure of the first backup drive
Awesome you nailed everything going to follow your backup plan
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backing up 2 separate HDDs to separate locations with Time Machine LuminousFX Mac Basics and Help 6 Apr 25, 2014 08:34 PM
Storing time machine and CCC backups on same drive Rossatron Mac Basics and Help 7 Jul 1, 2013 02:59 PM
New SSD -- Time Machine vs. CCC, Trim? Reg88 MacBook Pro 6 Mar 30, 2013 11:43 PM
Time Machine Vs CCC ghsNick Mac Applications and Mac App Store 8 Mar 11, 2013 10:02 AM
Time machine or CCC? lukester OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Oct 4, 2012 03:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC