Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:23 AM   #101
cjmillsnun
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WAS the one View Post
It is fake. VNC is written all over it
I don't think it is.

I've made HackBooks by installing OS X on different laptops. It isn't difficult if you have some computer knowledge and access to the internet. There are many different forums available that will guide you through the process. It just requires some sort of boot loader to get Darwin (the base of the OS, based on BSD) to load. Then some modified kexts to get around the issue of it being non apple hardware and you're golden.

WiFi is the normal stumbling block and I can see in the video that a USB ethernet adaptor is being used.

It's a shame we don't see it boot, but I am 99% sure this is a genuine video.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:54 AM   #102
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
I'm only going to pick you up on this one point because I need to do some research into the other.

FAIL
I only referred to non-Retina models, as are all(!) Airs. I've only compared the Surface to the Air in this thread. The Airs don't, I repeat, don't have an IPS screen.

(Unfortunately, for me, Retina MBP's are a no-go unless Apple releases a Retina version of the, sadly, discontinued 17" model with a 4k screen and an optical drive or place for installing a second hard drive. 15" models with one hard drive only can't fulfill my expectations.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:32 PM   #103
cjmillsnun
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
I only referred to non-Retina models, as are all(!) Airs. I've only compared the Surface to the Air in this thread. The Airs don't, I repeat, don't have an IPS screen.

(Unfortunately, for me, Retina MBP's are a no-go unless Apple releases a Retina version of the, sadly, discontinued 17" model with a 4k screen and an optical drive or place for installing a second hard drive. 15" models with one hard drive only can't fulfill my expectations.)
No you said ANY MBP. I boldfaced it to make the point. If you had said cMBP you would've been correct.

EDIT after doing some checking myself (setting up boot camp) you are correct on your other point.

EDIT2: you're going to be waiting for a very long time for that new 17".

I find the single SSD and lack of optical drive absolutely fine with my rMBP. Whilst it is being used outside of my home network I restrict myself to the project I am currently working on, and at home have everything available from NAS.

A 4k screen? Why? No other screen in the Apple range is anywhere near that. Nor do I believe there is any commonly available 4k screen at a reasonable price.

Last edited by cjmillsnun; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
cjmillsnun is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:22 PM   #104
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
No you said ANY MBP. I boldfaced it to make the point. If you had said cMBP you would've been correct.
OK, you're right. (Nevertheless, the Surface has only been compared to the Air in this #, not to the significantly heavier rMBP's.)

Quote:
EDIT after doing some checking myself (setting up boot camp) you are correct on your other point.

EDIT2: you're going to be waiting for a very long time for that new 17".

I find the single SSD and lack of optical drive absolutely fine with my rMBP. Whilst it is being used outside of my home network I restrict myself to the project I am currently working on, and at home have everything available from NAS.
I need to access my 1TB media files everywhere I take my 17" MBP to. Doing this would be very cumbersome with any external drive, let it be a portable 2.5" unit or a NAS. This is why I prefer dual-spin MB's.

Quote:
A 4k screen? Why? No other screen in the Apple range is anywhere near that. Nor do I believe there is any commonly available 4k screen at a reasonable price.
1, 4K would be the Retina version of the Full HD 17" screens of the previous 17" MBP's. For development and video editing, I prefer using the internal screen (no need to have multiple hi-res, hi-quality monitors, quality external keyboards etc. everywhere I go - particularly not in my summer riverside cottage, where I have to mainly operate on battery power), where screen estate does count. I couldn't work on a smaller screen with as high efficiency as on a Full HD-equivalent one.

2, Yup, I know 4K screens are (still) pretty expensive. Nevertheless, they will surely go down in price. Too bad Apple dropped the 17" line...
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:30 PM   #105
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

I'm skeptical of the touch & stylus capabilities w/ this thing. Plus, it's not like there are many apps for ML designed to support a stylus so...
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:55 AM   #106
FirasN
macrumors newbie

finally, I like windows surface its amazing
FirasN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion