Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
jshlosman
macrumors newbie

Setting Up New OS X Server For Small Business

Hello Everyone,

I need a little advice and assistance. I used to administer OS X Servers in ages past for School Districts (Panther and Jaguar), yes I know that dates me.

Anyway, we are installing a Mac Mini (10.8 Server) in our small business and I have some questions about the directory services.

We are setting up three iMacs (one with parallels to run QB Pro) and two laptops. I want to bind the iMacs, and that is a no brainer. However, I have a question about the laptops... How do I set them up to function outside of the network and then update changes when they sign back on to the network.

I would appreciate ideas, thanks.
jshlosman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:26 AM   #2
rlkarren
macrumors newbie

Portable Home directories, (PHD's). (Windows calls them Roaming profiles). However they work much better in Mac OS X.

Without getting into too much detail that I really can't remember, just search for PHD's and you'll find many tutorials.

PHD's are set up in Workgroup Manager. They can be setup by User or by Machine.

rlk
rlkarren is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkarren View Post
Portable Home directories, (PHD's). (Windows calls them Roaming profiles). However they work much better in Mac OS X.

Without getting into too much detail that I really can't remember, just search for PHD's and you'll find many tutorials.

PHD's are set up in Workgroup Manager. They can be setup by User or by Machine.

rlk
I was going to suggest the same thing. We use PHDs (aka mobile homes) in the school district I work for. One note: when logging in or out at work, it might take a while to sync, especially if they have a lot of multimedia files (i.e. music, pictures, movies and some PowerPoints/Keynote presentations). With having to copy large files or even lots of any size files, it might take a few minutes to sync.
guzhogi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:56 AM   #4
alexrmc92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
I was going to suggest the same thing. We use PHDs (aka mobile homes) in the school district I work for. One note: when logging in or out at work, it might take a while to sync, especially if they have a lot of multimedia files (i.e. music, pictures, movies and some PowerPoints/Keynote presentations). With having to copy large files or even lots of any size files, it might take a few minutes to sync.
you can disable sync on login / logout and restrict it to only while the session is active. This allows instant logins/logouts. Large files can take over a hour to sync in some cases.
alexrmc92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking