Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1
nycmi
macrumors member

iPad 5/ iPad Mini naming thoughts

With the new iPad (5th generation) assumedly just around the corner, is there any point in keeping the iPad Mini as a brand name?

Wouldn't it would be like Apple calling the 13 inch Macbook Pro the Macbook Pro mini? Assuming the only difference between the models are specs and screen size.
nycmi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular

LightOnAHill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

They the dropped numbering, so officially it probably just "the new iPad" and "the new iPad Mini".

Then every normal human being will ignore that and refer to them as the iPad 5 and Retina iPad Mini.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
They the dropped numbering, so officially it probably just "the new iPad" and "the new iPad Mini".

Then every normal human being will ignore that and refer to them as the iPad 5 and Retina iPad Mini.
Presuming that it is a Retina mini that is announced. In either case it would be the 2nd gen iPad mini.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:21 PM   #5
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

My guess for the mini would be the same they did with the iPad 4 (retina). "iPad Mini with Retina Display".

For the full sized iPad I can't imagine what else they would call it except the "iPad 5". They're called the 2nd gen. iPad the "iPad 2", so I don't see them being against "iPad 5". And it's not like they have any other option anyway haha. Besides "The new iPad" which also wouldn't really make much sense, since they currently have 2 options (excluding data vs. wifi only).
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
LotusLord
macrumors regular

I can't see them keeping the iPad 2 around much longer. It will run iOS7 but probably not 8. So will they keep the existing retina iPad as the lower cost full size model and call the new one iPad 5? Maybe
LotusLord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
I can't see them keeping the iPad 2 around much longer. It will run iOS7 but probably not 8. So will they keep the existing retina iPad as the lower cost full size model and call the new one iPad 5? Maybe
Idk about the rest of what they're doing, but they're definitely not going go to keep the iPad 2 around. It's completely outdated at this point. And if they'd do replacing it would be with the iPad 3, but they already stopped selling that, so idk lol.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:36 AM   #8
ufwa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
It can easily run 8. As its unlikely that apple will drop support for the ipad mini after just 2 years. Whether they allow it to run is a whole other issue.

If they move the ipad 4 to fill in the spot of the 2, I can see them naming the new one iPad 5.

It would be odd to call the cheaper one iPad with Retina display and also call the new one iPad with Retina display. Calling it "new iPad with Retina Display" is just long.
ufwa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:51 PM   #9
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufwa View Post
It can easily run 8. As its unlikely that apple will drop support for the ipad mini after just 2 years. Whether they allow it to run is a whole other issue.

If they move the ipad 4 to fill in the spot of the 2, I can see them naming the new one iPad 5.

It would be odd to call the cheaper one iPad with Retina display and also call the new one iPad with Retina display. Calling it "new iPad with Retina Display" is just long.
You're forgetting it's not just about time. If we're talking about 2 years, iOS 4 was not all that much different from iOS6. But it takes a lot more resources to run iOS7 vs. iOS6, unlike iOS5 to iOS6. The iPad Mini only has 1/2GB Ram. That's the same as the iPhone 4, and that runs iOS7 poorly. It runs it, as it's the oldest device that they deemed it could run on, but it runs poorly, as I said. At least, not as well as iOS6. So I wouldn't be quite so optimistic in saying that a product with 1/2GB ram would be able to run iOS8 no problem.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Rodster
macrumors 68030

I wish they went back to a numbering scheme to keep unsuspecting customers who don't keep up with the latest tech gadget news from getting ripped off.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad