Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1
smallboxes
macrumors newbie

Should I buy the current 3rd Generation Apple TV?

Saw the Apple TV at a store and thought it was cool. With all the new updates and hardware redesigns coming this Fall I was wondering whether I should invest in buying one or not.

Also, I fished around the internet for information on the AppleTV and there was a lot of "cable" suggestions.

Do I still need cables (HDMI, AUDIO, mini display..etc) for the AppleTV to work? Even though it has Airplay/Mirroring?

Should I bother investing in it with the Fall overhaul of Apple updates and redesigns?
smallboxes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
cxc273
macrumors regular

It's hard to tell if and when Apple will introduce a fourth-generation Apple TV. If the current version does what you want, go ahead and buy. There's no guarantee Apple will debut a new version this fall.

The only cable you need to supply with an Apple TV is an HDMI to hook it up to your TV. You can hook it up to Ethernet or an optical cable if you want, but neither is critical to normal operation.
cxc273 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
smallboxes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post
The only cable you need to supply with an Apple TV is an HDMI to hook it up to your TV. You can hook it up to Ethernet or an optical cable if you want, but neither is critical to normal operation.
What is the difference between "male to male" and "female to female", I just searched HDMI cables on Amazon and one of the cables is just "male-to-male" what is the difference?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
StevenT42
macrumors 6502

You will want a male-to-male HDMI cable. Try Monoprice.com or Amazon Basics.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:24 AM   #5
fanfaning
macrumors newbie

yes.You will want a male-to-male HDMI cable. Try Monoprice.com or Amazon Basics. [img]http://*******/jw7q[/img]
fanfaning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:08 AM   #6
boomhower
macrumors 65816

I say buy it. It's only $100 so even if a new one comes out later this year you can sell your old one and upgrade for $50 max. Get a refurb if you want to save a bit on the outlay.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:23 AM   #7
manutd27
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboxes View Post
Saw the Apple TV at a store and thought it was cool. With all the new updates and hardware redesigns coming this Fall I was wondering whether I should invest in buying one or not.

Also, I fished around the internet for information on the AppleTV and there was a lot of "cable" suggestions.

Do I still need cables (HDMI, AUDIO, mini display..etc) for the AppleTV to work? Even though it has Airplay/Mirroring?

Should I bother investing in it with the Fall overhaul of Apple updates and redesigns?
I was in this exact predicament and I thought for the sake of 80 you may as well buy it. There's no guarantee a new one will come out in the Autumn and even if it does, you may lose 30-40, but for the sake of 3-4 months use it's worth it. Mine should be arriving today!
manutd27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:16 AM   #8
blujacket
macrumors newbie

It was a no brainer purchase for me. I bought it mainly for Netflix,HBO Go, & Watch ESPN. HBO alone is paying for my AppleTv. True Blood seasons cost $40 on blu-ray, watching the last few seasons has paid for itself. Granted I have Uverse and pay a subscription for HBO also.
blujacket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:33 AM   #9
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

I'm going to replace my 2 with a 3. I just got a new 1080p tv. And the 2 already looks pretty damn good pushing 720p.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Jefe's MacAir
macrumors regular

I completely believe it's the best $99 you can spend on technology.
Jefe's MacAir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Che Castro
macrumors 601

If your only buying one go for it

But I wouldn't buy multiple apple tvs right now
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboxes View Post
Tell us more about what impressed you about it, what type of functionality you're hoping to get out of it, what other Apple products you currently own (e.g., iPhone, MacBook), what type of TV and A/V Receiver you currently have, what country you live in, and whether you consider $100 to be in impulse-buy territory or if that's a big expense for you. We can provide more valuable advice if we know these details.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:12 PM   #13
jonathanxx1
macrumors newbie

For me Netflix , Airplay and youtube totally justify the apple tv 3, i like it.
jonathanxx1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:23 PM   #14
smallboxes
macrumors newbie

I will purchase a male-to-male hdmi cable and the 3rd Generation Apple TV. Thank you everybody for the input!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:33 PM   #15
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Why not get a roku?
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
appletv3, buying advice