Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I did a search through the iPad Apps forum before posting this question and, as I suspected, it was mostly people trying to sell their apps or people looking for random apps to make hearts and smileys on photos :)

So for you actual designers and artists, any preferred sketching and drawing apps? I'm looking for something primarily for sketching figures/people and design thumbnails, I've been researching a bit and the way that Paper lets you set up different notebooks seems really useful.

A related question, is anyone doing a lot of sketching on an iPad Mini? My wife has an iPad that I use occasionally but I'm looking to get my own tablet in a month or so (will probably wait for the next update), and I was wondering if the Mini has enough usable area for sketching or if the full size iPad was a better way to go.

Thanks!

randiferous

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
The sketching app I use is Procreate. I started with Brushes, but now I favor Procreate. I use it for quick sketches of people, landscapes, etc. I'm also excited that Wacom has announced a pressure sensitive stylus for the iPad, coming this fall.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
SketchBook Pro here. It's nice to play with, but I've never been a good finger-painter. Lots of better artists than I have expressed praise for SketchBook Pro, but I have to say I haven't used it much the last year since getting a new Cintiq 22HD (which is awesome, by the way), but I intend to buy a pressure sensitive stylus soon to play with on the iPad, just gotta decide which one.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
The sketching app I use is Procreate. I started with Brushes, but now I favor Procreate. I use it for quick sketches of people, landscapes, etc. I'm also excited that Wacom has announced a pressure sensitive stylus for the iPad, coming this fall.

Same here. I started with Brushes which I still love but Procreate blows it out of the water.

Procreate also now apparently lets you record your strokes like Brushes does so you have a video of you making your art which is a great feature.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Sketchbook Pro, just for the ability to go from my Mac to iPad.

I've been using Procreate more too, it feels really natural.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Procreate and Paper (Fly 53) are my apps of choice. I'll then use iDraw, which is a good vector app (Mac version also available)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.