Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:06 AM   #1
acearchie
macrumors 68030

A film we made for a 48 hour film competition.

Hi guys,

Love to know what you think of a film we made for a 48 hour film competition.

We had to include the prop of a calculator and the line "Give it here, I'll do it"

Whilst it was a 48 hour film competition we had some other work to do so we treated it as more of a 24 hour challenge.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Link to video.
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502

With the internet some age group of people could get the wrong message. Not a sort of video i would have made. very pointless exercise. I'm sure you have more imagination to come up with such silly idea.
Right regards video production. Lighting and editing and sound very good. Acting very amateur.
To me looking from your other work. You need to channel your expertise in a different direction. Specially for competition as that is the platform for people getting to know your work.
Sorry for being negative, i hate good talent steeping back.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3
filmbufs
macrumors member

It's a good film and it clearly demonstrates your talent with the camera. The lighting stood out the most to me, followed by nice editing. Well done.

Since this is a parody, the joke is understood quickly. Therefore, unless you introduce something totally different, the joke carries on much too long. Pacing, limited resources and availability of talent is always a crutch with student films but, aside from the pacing, you no doubt did very well with what you had available.

Like Daybreak said, you've got talent, especially creative with your amazing short film, The Words of Bokeh. I hope you don't mind the link to your film but it's really something others should enjoy.

I would encourage you to follow that creative path, alongside the world of cinematography.
filmbufs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
salacious
macrumors 6502a

well it was humorous but didnt make me laugh, in regards of creativity i didnt think it was creative, i just thought it was pulled off well.

the bokeh was a bit too much i felt, i thought you needed less of it.

the acting was 6/10 for me the actor could have made it much more funnier.

but it was good, sound was a bit iffy on some shots though.
salacious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

A few things that need working on.

1. color balance. carry a white balance card with you, if not, use a white surface that can fake it.

2. after you have color balanced, try some color grading. Vinettes, cool colors, dark colors and play with the RGB curves to give it another feel.

3. voice over was great. nice and clean. the off the camera stuff ruined that clean audio though. What ever mic you used for the Voice over could have been used by a person holding a monopod as a boom.

4. what did you edit it in?

5. lighting. looks like you used all sorts of natural/mixed lighting. Mixed lighting sucks but as we know, often there is not much you can do BUT you can fill your shadows a bit. Use a reflector like this: http://www.elizabethhalford.com/wp-c...or-280x300.jpg
the 5 in one is nice and portable.

6. lighting again. those 500watt work lights for construction work well. the reflector i pointed to has a diffuser in it that is great with that light.

7. contrast. some of your shots were "flat". a reflector or a side light would have worked great to create some contrast and depth.

8. angles and width. your choice of shots were great. good use of close up, medium and wide shots.

here is a sample of mixed lighting using some reflectors that i did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6ayb1VIao
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:33 PM   #6
acearchie
macrumors 68030

Firstly thank you everyone for the feedback. Good or bad I enjoy reading it all and definitely learn in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
With the internet some age group of people could get the wrong message. Not a sort of video i would have made. very pointless exercise. I'm sure you have more imagination to come up with such silly idea.
Right regards video production. Lighting and editing and sound very good. Acting very amateur.
To me looking from your other work. You need to channel your expertise in a different direction. Specially for competition as that is the platform for people getting to know your work.
Sorry for being negative, i hate good talent steeping back.
Thanks for the feedback. This definitely wasn't my strongest piece of work but at the same time it was a chance to unwind and treat filmmaking as being a bit more fun again instead of all the corporate jobs I have been doing.

I suppose it comes down to it might have been a "you had to be there moment". I don't see any of this as "reel" material but we did have some fun making it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbufs View Post
Since this is a parody, the joke is understood quickly. Therefore, unless you introduce something totally different, the joke carries on much too long. Pacing, limited resources and availability of talent is always a crutch with student films but, aside from the pacing, you no doubt did very well with what you had available.

Like Daybreak said, you've got talent, especially creative with your amazing short film, The Words of Bokeh. I hope you don't mind the link to your film but it's really something others should enjoy.

I would encourage you to follow that creative path, alongside the world of cinematography.
No problem linking the film! Any publicity is good publicity! The problem with this film is that we had no script just shot a few random scenes and then I had the task of making it look good in the edit. The pacing was an issue but the film had to be 3 mins to be accepted so that was one downside and I didn't want to take the route some others do of having 2 minutes of credits.

I think if we had taken this more seriously it would have been a much more polished product but for less than 12 hours of work I am happy with how it turned out-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious View Post
well it was humorous but didnt make me laugh, in regards of creativity i didnt think it was creative, i just thought it was pulled off well.

the bokeh was a bit too much i felt, i thought you needed less of it.

the acting was 6/10 for me the actor could have made it much more funnier.

but it was good, sound was a bit iffy on some shots though.
True. It's not a hugely original idea but we thought it would be a good way to include the calculator and made the story revolve around it rather than some of the other groups that literally had a calculator in the background or a cut away to it.

When you say the bokeh was a bit to much are you suggesting the depth of field was too shallow? I use the term bokeh to describe the quality of the OOF parts not necessarily how shallow the depth of field is but I realise the term is open to interpretation.

The actor isn't really an actor but just a member of our team. Because we decided to compete as a spur of the moment thing we just used what we had. But agreed, the comic timing could have been better.

Sound came down to the fact that I ran out of time during the edit as I had to get a lift home. In future I will definitely allow some more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteusclement View Post
A few things that need working on.

1. color balance. carry a white balance card with you, if not, use a white surface that can fake it.

2. after you have color balanced, try some color grading. Vinettes, cool colors, dark colors and play with the RGB curves to give it another feel.

3. voice over was great. nice and clean. the off the camera stuff ruined that clean audio though. What ever mic you used for the Voice over could have been used by a person holding a monopod as a boom.

4. what did you edit it in?

5. lighting. looks like you used all sorts of natural/mixed lighting. Mixed lighting sucks but as we know, often there is not much you can do BUT you can fill your shadows a bit. Use a reflector like this: http://www.elizabethhalford.com/wp-c...or-280x300.jpg
the 5 in one is nice and portable.

6. lighting again. those 500watt work lights for construction work well. the reflector i pointed to has a diffuser in it that is great with that light.

7. contrast. some of your shots were "flat". a reflector or a side light would have worked great to create some contrast and depth.

8. angles and width. your choice of shots were great. good use of close up, medium and wide shots.

here is a sample of mixed lighting using some reflectors that i did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6ayb1VIao
In terms of colour balance I think the few shots that are really off are the ones around sitting on the sofa. This was my fault as my back was aching so I gave the camera to someone else to shoot that shot and they didn't change the WB from daylight when going inside.

The "lighting" for the kitchen scene was literally turning the top lights from the room towards the subject. Ideally we should have had some dedos just to be a bit more precise but then again hindsight is a beautiful thing.

A reflector probably would have been useful but as it got later we started worrying less and less about the look and overall quality of the film as we sort of deteriorated as a group!

Funnily enough I recorded the VO on my laptop mic and all the other sound was from a Rode videomic on the camera. I had it set to auto as it was just too much time to attempt to set it for each shot especially as I was sort of the only one attempting to get some quality from the piece.

I edited in FCP 7 and although a grade would have been nice I just didn't have time to take it into Color. The B&W scenes were shot in camera and all the shots are untouched.

Thanks for the comments on the angles. I pretty much used every shot we did so it makes me feel good that it is varied enough for your liking.

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to putting it into good use with my next project.
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

The biggest challege of these 24-48 hour shoots it planning.
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
waldo3125
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
Hi guys,

Love to know what you think of a film we made for a 48 hour film competition.

We had to include the prop of a calculator and the line "Give it here, I'll do it"

Whilst it was a 48 hour film competition we had some other work to do so we treated it as more of a 24 hour challenge.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Link to video.
I enjoyed it!
waldo3125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:24 PM   #9
MacBookProzak
macrumors regular

This was a actually a pretty cool video.

The only thing that I would have not done was the bokeh (depth of field) effect with alot of the the shots. It seems like depth of field thing is being really over used considering that alot of people are shooting on DSLR. If anyone remembers back in the late 90's how every skateboard magazine photo used a fisheye lens and then the same look was put into every video? Point being is that the over use of the look makes the effect no longer special and gets boring. Don't get me wrong, I love the depth of field effect as well as the fisheye, just keep in mind that "less is more". Just like it is not good to over salt a good piece of meat, don't over salt your video with one ingredient.

Outside of that, very nice cutting.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video