Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 27" 2012 iMac show a yellow tint bottom to fading at the top?

• Nope. It's one color.

Votes: 65 79.3%
  • Yes, a little, but I don't really notice it.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Yes, and it's fairly bad and will get it fixed.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Yes, but it's not fading from the bottom - I see hotspots or something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
isnt one of the big selling points with these new imacs that each one is individually calibrated at the factory ?

i thought that was supposed to mean you dont have to calibrate it yourself anymore :-(

kinda disappointed if thats the case

mdc3000

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Guelph, ON
Had my Genius appointment - very hard to see the issue in the store lighting but finally got the guy to conceded there was an issue. Had to call the online store to arrange an exchange - took 40 minutes and 3 advisers to figure out how to do that....shocked at how difficult it seemed. Sending a new one out shortly, hope it is better.

cathy88

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Here are the picture for mine.

The 27" iMac 2012 seems more Yellow then my other 2 Apple Thunderbolt Display.
As you can see in the picture, the iMac (sitting in the middle) clearly looks different to the other two.
Image taken when all 3 screen are set under full brightness.

What do you guys think?

Should I go for a replacement?

The new iMac screen definitely has less reflection, the colour seems slightly better (more rich, except for this yellow tinge).

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 132

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

As you can see in the picture, the iMac (sitting in the middle) clearly looks different to the other two.

What do you guys think?

The new iMac screen definitely has less reflection, the colour seems slightly better (more rich, except for this yellow tinge).

could you take a picture with just a black background

shiny-blanket

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007

What do you guys think?

It's a warmer screen profile for sure, but it looks good overall. Conversely, the one on the right looks a red hue to me. Can you calibrate the new one? My screen looked very much like yours, but after calibration, I'm much more content with it. Send me a pm with your email address, if you'd like to try out my calibrations.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think ANY of these iMac screens are perfect. They all seem to have their own idiosyncrasies in color shift. It's been that way for several years. You will go insane exchanging them, IMO, b/c you will never be happy with what you get. Face it, unless you want to pay top dollar for a separate screen, these AIO's will all have some compromise.

Anyway, I firmly believe that if you forget about it and don't bother to notice it, you will enjoy your computer much more. Everything in life has defects.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

What do you guys think?

I would ignore the above no way if you have three screens will you forget about the colour shift. Every time you look from one screen to the next you will see the change in colour. If I were you I would get a calibration tool as the panel appears to be showing a consistent yellow. The left screen looks pretty good but the right has a red hue to it so even if you did get another iMac and it happened to be a good one one of your cinema displays would still have a red hue.

Get the calibration tool if that doesn't work you should still be able to return if you are quick.

cathy88

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
It's a warmer screen profile for sure, but it looks good overall. Conversely, the one on the right looks a red hue to me. Can you calibrate the new one? My screen looked very much like yours, but after calibration, I'm much more content with it. Send me a pm with your email address, if you'd like to try out my calibrations.

PMed, thanks ^^.

I would ignore the above no way if you have three screens will you forget about the colour shift. Every time you look from one screen to the next you will see the change in colour. If I were you I would get a calibration tool as the panel appears to be showing a consistent yellow. The left screen looks pretty good but the right has a red hue to it so even if you did get another iMac and it happened to be a good one one of your cinema displays would still have a red hue.

Get the calibration tool if that doesn't work you should still be able to return if you are quick.

I wouldn't mind buying a Calibrator, however I live in New Zealand, none of those Spyder 4 Pro or 3 are aviliable, so would have to buy from overseas. By the time I recevive it the 14 days period would most likely have elapsed to qualify for a brand new product replacement.

When I had just the two thunderbolt I wasn't able to notice any difference cause the colour were so similar.

I just want a good iMac screen, cause very soon I would sell the two thunderbolt displays and wait for the new models to come out. Hence having accurate colour on the iMac is number 1 priority

Would most people think because the yellow tinge is uniform it may just simply be calibration problem?

could you take a picture with just a black background

I will do that later tonight, when the room is dark.

shiny-blanket

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
As an update, I settled on the following calibration. D65 white point with 7.1 brightness bar (turn off automatic brightness adjust in display preference).

It's a little more natural than the previous native white point calibration, whilst fixing those crushed blacks.
http://cl.ly/LvGC

If anyone wants the Windows equivalent for Bootcamp, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.