Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Did I say I was thrilled that Tyrion survived... For now? :)

I like tyrion as a character but I wouldn't say hes my favorite. Its great though because Peter Dinklage is the best actor on the show in my opinion and its great he gets to stick around.

Would have been cool if Arya went to the Wall with Jon, but shes pretty much her own person now; it will be fun to see what she does in Bravos. I'm trying to read all the books before the next season.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like tyrion as a character but I wouldn't say hes my favorite. Its great though because Peter Dinklage is the best actor on the show in my opinion and its great he gets to stick around.

Would have been cool if Arya went to the Wall with Jon, but shes pretty much her own person now; it will be fun to see what she does in Bravos. I'm trying to read all the books before the next season.

For this series I have mixed feelings about watching the show first or reading the books first. I watched Season 1, then read the book- good decision. But then I read Book 2 before the Second Season- bad decision, the show felt hollow, like an outline of the book. I'm working on the 3rd book now and will catch up to the show and then decide which way to go for the next round.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 3, Book 3, Spoilers

I just finished reading about the Red Wedding in book 3, A Storm of Swords and can say it was more horrific watching it on the show, then reading it in the book, maybe because I was knew it was coming. I assume they changed the person Rob marries to consolidate the TV story. As soon as I read he was leaving his wife back in River Run I sighed with relief, because what they did to his wife in the show turned my stomach. Great read! :p This guy can write, although my wife who has zoomed out in front of me says that Book 4, A Feast Of Crows seems to have a lot of filler. She means there is a lot of talk about the old days which does not really push the story forward. I'll have to evaluate that for myself.

If you talk about Book 4, please avoid spoilers. thanks! :)

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I bought all the books that are out now for my Kindle, really should start reading them, as I love the show. I think the casting is excellent.

TomHardyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
I love all game of thrones season. Specially season 4 was awesome.I made few gif as well. I also gone through to entire book... amazing story with so many twists inside

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Season 5 premiered last night. I think it's off to a pretty good start.

The pacing was rather slow, but I expected that based on reviews I'd read online. It looks like they're methodically setting up for what's to come. I've also heard that the show and the books are diverging more than ever. (I haven't read any of the books.)

Spoilers

I particularly enjoyed the scenes with Mance Rayder (awful nice of Jon Snow to dispatch him before the fire did) and Dany and the dragons (she definitely has her hands full.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For anyone interested in HBO Now, the current GoT episode becomes available simo with the cable broadcast. Possibly early, but I tuned in at 8pm and there it was. Next week, I'll check it a little early.

I think Daenny needs to send out for Hiccup, to help her train her dragons... ;)

Last edited:

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Does anyone else get really thrown off by the changes the show is making compared to the books? A few of them seem pretty important so far, and a lot of things in this first episode got me wondering. From a brief interview I saw with George R R Martin, I do not believe he is involved in the writing of the show, as he mentioned his own surprise when he sees what they changed. That being the case, I wonder what is going to happen over this season and next, now that the show has caught up to the books... if they are already changing things, how can they know what it might unwind later in the series?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't read the books, so I can't comment on the content differences. But based on what I've heard, it doesn't seem likely that George RR Martin will be able to finish the books ahead of the show's schedule. I figure that there's a chance the story would have branched off at some point anyway (especially if he doesn't have much say in the show's writing), resulting in 2 different endings - a show ending and a book ending.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Here's what David Benioff said about this recently:

"Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading towards the same destination. I kind of wish that there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on. . .and that’s what we’re going to do."

There will probably be two more seasons after the current one. It's almost certain that George RR Martin won't finish the books by the time the series ends, so if the above is true, the series will "give away" the ending. But Benioff went on to say:

"I think the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion. There are certain things that are going to happen in the books that are different in the show, and I think people who love the show and want more—want to know more about the characters, want to know more about the different characters who might not have made the cut for the show—will be able to turn to the books."

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's what David Benioff said about this recently:

"Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading towards the same destination. I kind of wish that there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on. . .and that’s what we’re going to do."

There will probably be two more seasons after the current one. It's almost certain that George RR Martin won't finish the books by the time the series ends, so if the above is true, the series will "give away" the ending. But Benioff went on to say:

"I think the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion. There are certain things that are going to happen in the books that are different in the show, and I think people who love the show and want more—want to know more about the characters, want to know more about the different characters who might not have made the cut for the show—will be able to turn to the books."

It's pretty common to see these sorts of deviations for this circumstance. Look at The Walking Dead and True Blood.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Well I think George RR Martin is full of **** and is one of the worst writers I've had the displeasure to read, so I'd rather watch the show than read the books.

I don't mind the deviations.

As for season 5 episode 2, I thought it was some good development for Dany. Learning how to rule instead of just conquer.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Well I think George RR Martin is full of **** and is one of the worst writers I've had the displeasure to read, so I'd rather watch the show than read the books.

As for season 5 episode 2, I thought it was some good development for Dany. Learning how to rule instead of just conquer.

I'm thinking all of this as well.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007

I'll grant you that his writing style is very tiring... the old english has a certain Shakespearian inertia, making it hard to trudge through... but "one of the worst writers" seems a little harsh. Aside from his style of presentation, his characters, story arcs, and choice of what to show, what to hide, and when to cut between scenes ... is all quite brilliant I thought.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I'll grant you that his writing style is very tiring... the old english has a certain Shakespearian inertia, making it hard to trudge through... but "one of the worst writers" seems a little harsh. Aside from his style of presentation, his characters, story arcs, and choice of what to show, what to hide, and when to cut between scenes ... is all quite brilliant I thought.

When you say "cut between scenes" are you referring to the tv show? because he doesn't control that. And it has nothing to do with the Shakespearian-ness of his writing. Pride and Prejudice for example has a lot of old english, but it doesn't hinder the book in any way for me. My problem with GRRM is that he obsesses over the minute details but gives us no reason to care for them. In book 2, he spends 1-1.5 pages describing how theon feels as he's getting a blowjob by some girl on a ship which I thought was completely unnecessary. Not that I have anything against the subject, but it adds nothing to the story. Succinctness is definitely not one of his qualities.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I'm thinking all of this as well.

What's wrong with you people!! :eek: I love his writing. His characters are alive, I tell you!! I can only imagine what what reading level you exist on. :p For the purpose of calibration, I'm requesting some examples of great writing, please. :)

----------

When you say "cut between scenes" are you referring to the tv show? because he doesn't control that. And it has nothing to do with the Shakespearian-ness of his writing. Pride and Prejudice for example has a lot of old english, but it doesn't hinder the book in any way for me. My problem with GRRM is that he obsesses over the minute details but gives us no reason to care for them. In book 2, he spends 1-1.5 pages describing how theon feels as he's getting a blowjob by some girl on a ship which I thought was completely unnecessary. Not that I have anything against the subject, but it adds nothing to the story. Succinctness is definitely not one of his qualities.

I will admit, that when he starts naming all those names, I can usually figure out if they are trivia, and tune those out. But that is part of a living breathing imagined world. :D

Last edited:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
What's wrong with you people!! :eek: I love his writing. His characters are alive, I tell you!! I can only imagine what what reading level you exist on. :p For the purpose of calibration, I'm requesting some examples of great writing, please. :)

----------

I will admit, that when he starts naming all these names, I can usually figure out if they are trivia, and usually toon those out. But that is part of a living breathing imagined world. :D

The Great Gatsby has some of the best writing; albeit I'm not as much of an avid reader, but I loved his writing style. Succint and to the point

I'll agree with the "living breathing world" I do think that is game of thrones greatest strengths.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
For the purpose of calibration, I'm requesting some examples of great writing, please

I protest! My taste in literature is excellent. I just finished "A Shore Thing" by Nichole "Snooki" Polizzi, and it only took me 6 months. She knows how to command the english language.

----------

When you say "cut between scenes" are you referring to the tv show?

I was referring to how he cuts between characters in each chapter... sometimes we find out what happens in one story line from another story line first, and so forth... sometimes (book 4) you leave all of the familiar stories behind and see just one side unfolding... I thought it was really clever.

----------

Succinctness is definitely not one of his qualities.

I can't argue to that one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Great Gatsby has some of the best writing; albeit I'm not as much of an avid reader, but I loved his writing style. Succint and to the point

I'll agree with the "living breathing world" I do think that is game of thrones greatest strengths.

Never read that, but it's well regarded. I've read more books than I can remember. :p

If classics, I'd pick a few out of many: For Whom The Bell Tolls, Dracula, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Count of Monty Cristo, Tom Sawyer,, Sherlock Holmes series, and The Three Musketeers, Lord Of The Rings, Brave New World

More recent: Gone With The Wind, Tom Jones, 1984, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Farenheit 451, Winds of War, Shibumi, The Killer Angels, Martian Chronicles, Catcher in the Rye, a lot of Stephen King, the Flashman series, Anne Rice, HP Lovecraft, Tom Clancy, Ian Fleming, plus tons of contemporary fiction and science fiction, like most of the Honor Harrington series.

This list keeps growing, I'll stop. :p

----------

I protest! My taste in literature is excellent. I just finished "A Shore Thing" by Nichole "Snooki" Polizzi, and it only took me 6 months. She knows how to command the english language.

----------

I was referring to how he cuts between characters in each chapter... sometimes we find out what happens in one story line from another story line first, and so forth... sometimes (book 4) you leave all of the familiar stories behind and see just one side unfolding... I thought it was really clever.

----------

I can't argue to that one.

Ok, there is some personal preference involved. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.