Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

statesmire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Long story short, using Firefox I am having a lot of ads pop-up from the infamous Windows Virus "Adserverplus". Obviously it's not just for Windows but now I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

My nephew used my computer for a week and now I'm having this issue... I know better not to download suspicious programs.

Anyone ever come across this? Can't find anything on Google for the removal on mac, only PC.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is probably just a pop up, not a virus or any kind of malware.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

statesmire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I appreciate the response.. I just downloaded ClamXav and it's a bit cumbersome, as I am not sure where to search.

I agree, I doubt it is a virus, but it definitely is adware/malware because even if I go to ebay/google/gmail, whatever it will consistently throw advertisements in a pop-up. I understand, I could probably Block it, however I would much rather remove it.

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
I appreciate the response.. I just downloaded ClamXav and it's a bit cumbersome, as I am not sure where to search.

I agree, I doubt it is a virus, but it definitely is adware/malware because even if I go to ebay/google/gmail, whatever it will consistently throw advertisements in a pop-up. I understand, I could probably Block it, however I would much rather remove it.

I assume you got rid of all cookies; that alone can cause the pop ups

statesmire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Did a scan and nothing came up, also got rid of all my cookies. Got two pop-ups as I browsed to this page... Grr... Wonder if I should just reinstall Firefox and cross my fingers?

Thanks for the help thus far, really appreciate it... I think I am the first person to ever somewhat break a mac. LOL

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012

Run ClamXav against your mail client.... use AdBlock/DoNotTrack + on your browser.... it might be abit cumbersome but it will be worth it if you run a full scan.....

If all else fails then remove firefox (use CleanMyMac or something similar to get rid of any Firefox left overs) and do a reinstall.

HTH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.