Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GD0X

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
so as the title depicts, i'm attempting to sell my 2012 macbook air in excellent condition. It's the base model with the 8gb ram upgrade. Im asking for $1050... including laptop, charger and extension, retail box, and case. This seems fair considering its only 5 months old and basically 1300 new.

I only use craiglist btw, ebay/amazon marketplace are out of the question.

Mikey-Mike

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
CLE
so as the title depicts, i'm attempting to sell my 2012 macbook air in excellent condition. It's the base model with the 8gb ram upgrade. Im asking for $1050... including laptop, charger and extension, retail box, and case. This seems fair considering its only 5 months old and basically 1300 new.

Haswell is coming out buddy, haswell.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Is your listing detailed and does it feature more than just stock photos?

Also, if you live in a smaller city, you have to be patient when selling high-dollar items on CL. There are simply fewer people searching out items like yours.

Last edited:

GD0X

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
What's the reasons your selling it? :p

want something smaller, probably an 11". But i might buy the mini to hold me over until a haswell MBA comes out.

----------

Is your listing detailed and does it feature more than just stick photos?

Also, if you live in a smaller city, you have to be patient when selling high-dollar items on CL. There are simply fewer people searching out items like yours.

yes it is. Im in a large college campus... includes photos of the "about this mac" and the S/N/order portion of the retail box.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
want something smaller, probably an 11". But i might buy the mini to hold me over until a haswell MBA comes out.

----------

yes it is. Im in a large college campus... includes photos of the "about this mac" and the S/N/order portion of the retail box.

check the price of referbs...not sure what they are but they might be cheaper

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011

I only use craiglist btw, ebay/amazon marketplace are out of the question.

you probably need to lower your price to around $900-ish range.. yes it is only 5 months old but with apple constantly refreshing their laptops, yours is becoming obsolete faster...

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
you probably need to lower your price to around $900-ish range.. yes it is only 5 months old but with apple constantly refreshing their laptops, yours is becoming obsolete faster...

Yeah, This ^^, Although Apple product hold their price well, we've seen a lot of updates over the past year and products tend to be loosing value much quicker now.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I think most people don't want to spend over the $1000.00 threshold on something used. It's a mental thing. I usually keep my Apple products for 2-3 years, then sell on CL for 7-800. I always have good luck, and I feel I got a lot of use out of my computer, and a great down payment on a new one. Selling a new computer after only having it for a few months is like buying a new car, it depreciates too much as soon as you drive it off the lot.

You could always try different area's that are kinda close to you to list the ad. I had a guy come two hours away to buy my last Macbook. :D

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
You've got to price it to sell. undercut your competitors by checking what theyre selling theirs for

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
on Apple.com, 13" 2012 refurb is $1019 with full Apple warranty.

You are overpriced.

Don't forget he said he has 8GB RAM, not 4GB.

Overall, it is a fair price for what you have. Sadly, as other have said, if it hasn't sold yet its priced too high. Personally, I'd hold out and see if the Xmas season sparks more interest in the coming weeks before dropping the price any more. That's a serious loss for only 5 months of ownership.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

$900-950 would be a good price to ask in CL. CL have too many lowballers and I can see a scenario where some people offers you $800-900 thinking he or she are paying handsomely.So be prepared for your market:)
Have a good listing with actual photos also helps. But then, AppleCare ( I am asuming that is running in your machine) good care and no cosmetic and functional issues also help

:):apple:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Check refurbished pricing and what others are selling for on ebay. Craigslist works best in large markets, especially in the US. If the price is softening, it's likely an issue of a larger used supply and Apple's refurbished stock.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
What ^^^^^ He said! Try also, making the ad sound more awesome than it is. Fluff it a little! Some people love that stuff :D

The other aspect is, I'd be wary of anything this expensive on Craigslist with no guarantee that the seller hasn't filled it with soda and is now trying to rip me off. Try slightly undercutting the price of a comparable Apple refurb and proactively booking a Genius bar appointment. The seller will be assured both that they are getting a solid machine and meeting you in nice public place. Also, be patient -- it's the name of the game with CL.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Do you have anything to throw in with it? Try spicing up the ad, maybe...

I sold my 2010 (1.6/4/128) for 800.00.. just keep it on sale and hold your price, someone is bound to show interest.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you prob can sell it for that here in the marketplace, CL will be full w/ lowballers.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't ever sell high-dollar items on sites like Craigslist. Just too much opportunity to be scammed (and the buyer will think the same about you). I've had a couple of bad experiences too. Bought a laser printer that quit working 10 minutes after I plugged it in, and a G4 Cube (!!) that had a faulty power supply. Sigh.

Instead, try the buy/sell boards in areas around you. At work, at school, on the forums here. Ask your friends, parents, etc. to post an ad on the forums at their workplaces.

Nowadays I turn to my workplace forums first. There's an added sense of trust since you already know a bit about the buyer/seller (where they work!) and it makes for convenient rendezvous points.

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
i've sold a couple macbooks on CL (even my car) in Vancouver. Usually 1-2 years old for $750-$900.

If you're on a campus, can students just get the educational discount. Then when is the price difference?

I think technology uneducated people might be more impressed with an extra wireless mouse then the RAM upgrade.

There is a used apple pricing website that i used to show a fair price for my model of computer mac2sell.net

Last edited:

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If you have had nibbles but cannot make the sale could be the condition.

If nobody is even calling its over priced for the season and market.

Definitely should be lower than an Apple refurb with a longer warranty.

At the schools around me mom an dad footed the bill for 99% of the laptops and they were bought new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.