Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sketchygargoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I was about to buy a 27 inch, but noticed its over $100 in sales tax. I was under the impression buying online will void sales tax. There is also a gray-ed out option to pick up in store. Do you think when the 27 inches are available in stores, I will be able to purchase then, tick that box, and go pickup in store before some people that ordered today are even shipped their imacs?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I was about to buy a 27 inch, but noticed its over $100 in sales tax. I was under the impression buying online will void sales tax. There is also a gray-ed out option to pick up in store. Do you think when the 27 inches are available in stores, I will be able to purchase then, tick that box, and go pickup in store before some people that ordered today are even shipped their imacs?

You will be charged sales tax no matter what unless you live in an area that does not have sales tax. For example Oregon does not have sales tax, I'm sure other states don't too but if you live in a state that charges sales tax you pay it!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Macmall will charge tax for states where they have business locations. When I ordered my MBP I had them ship it to my niece in an adjoining state and saved lots.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
If you buy online from like amazon or macmall there will be no sales tax.
That's because you are in a state they don't charge tax.

Here in California both Amazon and Macmall charge state sales tax. Amazon just started doing that earlier this year, which really sucks.

sketchygargoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Ok, appreciate the responses. What about buying it now and having it shipped vs the wait 3 weeks and doing in store pickup? Do you think I would have a chance of getting it earlier if I do that?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I was hoping to avoid sales tax as well $168 freaking dollars for the 27" scared the hell out of me. I'm over it now though got expedited shipping and a free Magic Mouse on top of my Trackpad that I'll probably sell depending on what I like bette so ah well. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
First you technically owe sales tax either way. The state can demand you repay it and fine you for ignoring it, but that is rare. Look up sales tax evasion if you don't believe me. Laws on it vary by state. Your concern is whether the merchant will collect it. If they have any physical presence within your state, they collect sales tax. I expect all of them will be required to collect in the near future. These laws really predate the heavy use of electronic ordering processes. I mean you had catalogs and things, but the consumer purchasing volume wasn't anything like online ordering. Today it tends to be stacked against brick and mortar stores, when there should be no difference.

I was hoping to avoid sales tax as well $168 freaking dollars for the 27" scared the hell out of me. I'm over it now though got expedited shipping and a free Magic Mouse on top of my Trackpad that I'll probably sell depending on what I like bette so ah well. :)

I should mention that in a lot of countries, it's standardized at a national level. Any tax is applied to the stated price as you see it marked whether you're buying it from a store or online. This is generally the case with VAT or GST. I don't think sales tax is generally a good method of taxation, but such a method does make it much easier for retailers. The way it is, businesses have to file separate forms for each state, so the number of required accounting hours is inflated.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
First you technically owe sales tax either way. The state can demand you repay it and fine you for ignoring it, but that is rare. Look up sales tax evasion if you don't believe me. Laws on it vary by state. Your concern is whether the merchant will collect it. If they have any physical presence within your state, they collect sales tax. I expect all of them will be required to collect in the near future. These laws really predate the heavy use of electronic ordering processes. I mean you had catalogs and things, but the consumer purchasing volume wasn't anything like online ordering. Today it tends to be stacked against brick and mortar stores, when there should be no difference.

I should mention that in a lot of countries, it's standardized at a national level. Any tax is applied to the stated price as you see it marked whether you're buying it from a store or online. This is generally the case with VAT or GST. I don't think sales tax is generally a good method of taxation, but such a method does make it much easier for retailers. The way it is, businesses have to file separate forms for each state, so the number of required accounting hours is inflated.

Definitely I'm aware of that just haven't had a big purchase like this in a while furniture years back etc and until its rang up still you're like ouch but no way around it lol

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
If you buy online from like amazon or macmall there will be no sales tax.

But if you buy from MacMall and you have a CA address, you'll be taxed almost the same amount as Apple. I just tried ordering from there but had my old address from NE and changed it to CA and the price comes out almost the same.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Definitely I'm aware of that just haven't had a big purchase like this in a while furniture years back etc and until its rang up still you're like ouch but no way around it lol

Yeah they could ask your zip at the beginning or something of that sort, but they want to keep the price looking low as long as possible. That kind of thing may not be legal in some other countries. Many have to display pricing inclusive of any kind of sales tax, although you'll often see what portion was sales tax on your receipt or invoice. In my opinion it hurts brick and mortar too much. Regardless of opinions on sales tax, the online retailer shouldn't be able to essentially offer you a better deal in this manner. I'd rather see lower overall sales tax that is collected equally. I'd order a lot of stuff online either way for the convenience due to the irritations of traffic and parking availability.

sketchygargoyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
hmm thanks for the detailed post thekev. I wasn't aware of some of that. Being an accountant, I should have known that ( I don't do taxes though). Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on me buying this computer today or online or waiting for it to be available in stores?

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA

I would guess that proving sales tax evasion is nearly impossible...

I mean if my state charges sales tax, and if you by out of state they have a use tax that is the same that you are supposed to pay on items brought back into the state. but if you paid cash there is no paper trail to let the state know where you bought this item... and you could be buying for a friend that lives in that "tax free" state as a gift... and yes as several posters have noted most states have no tax on online sales unless the seller has a "brick and mortar" presence in that state... Local retailers are urging states to start forcing all online retailers to collect sales tax as they feel that online stores have an advantage....

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I would guess that proving sales tax evasion is nearly impossible...

I mean if my state charges sales tax, and if you by out of state they have a use tax that is the same that you are supposed to pay on items brought back into the state. but if you paid cash there is no paper trail to let the state know where you bought this item... and you could be buying for a friend that lives in that "tax free" state as a gift... and yes as several posters have noted most states have no tax on online sales unless the seller has a "brick and mortar" presence in that state... Local retailers are urging states to start forcing all online retailers to collect sales tax as they feel that online stores have an advantage....

That will most likely happen at some point. It's probably easier to track with large purchases that are ordered online. It's rarely enforced. I was a little surprised that the OP thought ordering online automatically meant a lack of sales tax, which is why I provided some amount of detail. The brick and mortar presence doesn't even have to be a store. It could be a warehouse or office within the state.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012

If you are purchasing from apple, you pay tax

If you purchase (you will have to wait) from (most) apple resellers like BH Photo, you will not pay tax
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/iMac/ci/6490/N/4110474295

The reason I say you will have to wait, is because apple is screwing the apple re-sellers and not allowing many of them to offer BTO like you can get off the apple store...but that will change as time goes by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.