Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the new design?
Yes! Love it! Amazing how thin it is. 136 80.00%
Nope! Hate it! I don't need a desktop this thin. 34 20.00%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM   #51
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
It's not about hating the new design, it's about the idiocy of creating this design to the detriment of things like bluray/DVD drives. Show me one person that was whining about the last iMac being too thick and I'll show you a fool.
[shrug] Why make it thick? ODD aside, the innards have shrunk to the point that little more than a bulge on a thin screen is necessary.

wasn't going to do Bluray. Period. "Bag of hurt" - and that from someone on the Bluray board[1]. By now, an ODD must support Bluray, or be dropped altogether - as happened with iPod, iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini (with the ODD on Mac Pro languishing into oblivion). Once the ODD is removed, there's no reason for the iMac to be that thick. Take off a layer or two from the display, compact the innards, optimize for heat exchange and airflow, use optimally viable panels, try a new welding method, and you get something that doesn't need to be any more than 5mm at the edges + an "aw, it's a Mac Mini in the oven".

What shall we say of someone who whines that it's too thin without offering any suggestions for what should occupy that space?

[1] - "“Apple is pleased to join the Blu-ray Disc Association board as part of our efforts to drive consumer adoption of HD,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO." 2005 @
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:55 PM   #52
4tune8chance
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Hot air

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
Can you put your hand behind the new model where the power cord goes in. Is it noticeably warm there?
Hot air being expelled, prevents the frame heating up. Like I said the computer itself is much cooler, getting the warm air out is the function of the fan. If the warm air is getting away efficiently, that is reflected in the remainder of the computer being cool.
4tune8chance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:04 PM   #53
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: U.K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune8chance View Post
Hardly. Put you hand on the top of the older model, it's noticeably warm, the new is way cooler.
I always thought the older screens a bit too glossy.
As for the quietness, I must admit that I have no direct comparison, but compared to my old PC..............
Warm you say? not with our climate in the UK. It could also be the case that the components are situated in different places e.g. the PSU is placed at the top corner in the 2011 iMac so bound to feel warm in that area. I have never heard any sort of noise from my 2011 iMac either and it's really quiet when compared to our microwave oven.
Lankyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:28 PM   #54
4tune8chance
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Heat is heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyman View Post
Warm you say? not with our climate in the UK. It could also be the case that the components are situated in different places e.g. the PSU is placed at the top corner in the 2011 iMac so bound to feel warm in that area. I have never heard any sort of noise from my 2011 iMac either and it's really quiet when compared to our microwave oven.
If you live in a cooler environment, it makes no difference to the amount of heat being generated, only how fast that heat will be dissipated into the room.
4tune8chance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:41 PM   #55
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune8chance View Post
Hot air being expelled, prevents the frame heating up. Like I said the computer itself is much cooler, getting the warm air out is the function of the fan. If the warm air is getting away efficiently, that is reflected in the remainder of the computer being cool.
My iMac stays fairly cool internally even when under load. Would be interesting to see real numbers between the two designs rather than anecdotal evidence/opinions. I'm skeptical there will be too large of a difference if any at all.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:27 PM   #56
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
[shrug] Why make it thick? ODD aside, the innards have shrunk to the point that little more than a bulge on a thin screen is necessary.

wasn't going to do Bluray. Period. "Bag of hurt" - and that from someone on the Bluray board[1]. By now, an ODD must support Bluray, or be dropped altogether - as happened with iPod, iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini (with the ODD on Mac Pro languishing into oblivion). Once the ODD is removed, there's no reason for the iMac to be that thick. Take off a layer or two from the display, compact the innards, optimize for heat exchange and airflow, use optimally viable panels, try a new welding method, and you get something that doesn't need to be any more than 5mm at the edges + an "aw, it's a Mac Mini in the oven".

What shall we say of someone who whines that it's too thin without offering any suggestions for what should occupy that space?

[1] - "“Apple is pleased to join the Blu-ray Disc Association board as part of our efforts to drive consumer adoption of HD,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO." 2005 @
How about desktop components for a desktop computer occupying that space? How about a proper ergonomic stand occupying that space? How about dual standard port drive configurations instead of apple's custom blade ssd's occupying that space? Buddy, if apple could make a $ out of blue rays and they didn't have itunes we 'd have blue rays there before anyone else and you 'd be singing a different tune. It's like that saying that goes if exon could own the sun we 'd have had solar energy 20 years ago. If fat mac was making more money for apple instead of anorexic mac, they'd be pumping out one whale of a mac after another from foxconn..

In any case no one's really complaining that the imac has become thinner, we are complaining that it's become thinner WHILE ALSO losing easier upgradability options, getting slower drives, not gaining in ergonomics, having the screen glued up, getting an sd card slot at the most inconvenient position and using speakers with worse base that the ones on the kindle fire hd tablet.

The problem isn't thin itself, the problem is thin whilst most everything that was good with the imac, or that could be better goes to ****.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:00 AM   #57
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: U.K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
How about desktop components for a desktop computer occupying that space? How about a proper ergonomic stand occupying that space? How about dual standard port drive configurations instead of apple's custom blade ssd's occupying that space? Buddy, if apple could make a $ out of blue rays and they didn't have itunes we 'd have blue rays there before anyone else and you 'd be singing a different tune. It's like that saying that goes if exon could own the sun we 'd have had solar energy 20 years ago. If fat mac was making more money for apple instead of anorexic mac, they'd be pumping out one whale of a mac after another from foxconn..

In any case no one's really complaining that the imac has become thinner, we are complaining that it's become thinner WHILE ALSO losing easier upgradability options, getting slower drives, not gaining in ergonomics, having the screen glued up, getting an sd card slot at the most inconvenient position and using speakers with worse base that the ones on the kindle fire hd tablet.

The problem isn't thin itself, the problem is thin whilst most everything that was good with the imac, or that could be better goes to ****.
The above post just about nails it - good response, well done.
Lankyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC