Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah ^ , except that analogy still doesn't work, because you can't return cars.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
iMichael!, ultimately, it's your money and your decision.

Basing a decision to buy or not buy on a rumor, especially with Apple products, can be an exercise in frustration. Will Apple come out with a retina iPad Mini? Probably, given that all of their other portable devices sport retina displays. But when? That's a tougher question. Maybe this spring. Maybe this fall. Maybe next year. Maybe never.

At the end of the day, the question you should be asking yourself isn't "What doesn't the iPad Mini have right now that I really wish it had?" but "Does the iPad Mini in its current form work for me?"

Some folks want the latest and greatest, so they'll upgrade to the newest iPad or iPhone, even though the updates may be iterative. That's certainly their decision.

Personally, I'm OK with being a generation or two behind. It's not like the iPad 3 stopped working after Apple introduced the iPad 4. And it's not like the iPhone 4 and 4S don't do exactly what they did before their successor models came out.

I came very close to ditching my iPad 3 last year for a Mini. I really like the Mini's size for what I use it for, which is mainly reading and media consumption. But my iPad 3 was working just fine and I'm pretty happy with it. At some point if Apple makes a retina Mini, I'll certainly consider trading in the iPad 3.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I got my iPad Mini on December 29, Amazing Tablet. Retina or not, however a few days ago i learned a iPad Mini Retina would come out in March. So today i returned it.

I figured i should've because of that. Was it a smart choice?

It was a stupid choice.

You said yourself it was an amazing device, retina or not. But because of a rumor that it might come out in March with retina you returned it. I don't see a retina version coming out in March, well maybe March 2014. With Apple products you can speculate all you want, but until apple announces a product there is no guarantee of what an updated Mini will have.

So now you've retuned your mini, and now you have nothing to use until a newer updated mini comes out, well I have news for you. Don't buy that one either, because there will be a newer one anywhere from 6 months to year after that as well. Oh and don't get that one either, because 6-12 months after that another new one will be out. And the cycle will continue into the far future. So my advice is that you should not buy any iPad - mini or otherwise - because 6-12 months later there will be a newer version.

I love my iPad mini and will use it until there is a newer version with the upgrades that will make me want to purchase a replacement for the one I have. Until then I will enjoy what there is available in the now and not worry about what may or may not come in a few months.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I got my iPad Mini on December 29, Amazing Tablet. Retina or not, however a few days ago i learned a iPad Mini Retina would come out in March. So today i returned it.

If you can go without an iPad until the new unicorn drops then you don't need one at all. So its a choice, smart or not.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Good move and not only because of the screen.

----------

Mark my words, there will NOT be a new iPad mini announced in March. Why the hell would Apple rush out a new mini when they can't even keep up with the demand of the current one? I wouldn't expect a new mini until June at the earliest.

Totally agree.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Got some solid evidence about this? Personally, I think that you will be waiting longer than March for the next version of the iPad mini.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
iPad mini will receive a small update in March along side the redesigned iPad 5...iPad mini will get a RAM upgrade, bump to A6 chip and better camera (same as in the new iPad 5), the retina iPad mini WON'T be released till the fall with the A6X chip...

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I do always find it interesting that folks feel they have to have the latest and greatest. I actually did not own an IPad, until I got my wife's hand me down 1 when she got her 3. I did get the Mini when it came out, and I am prefectly happy with it. I will still use the 1 if I need more viewing real estate.
Also, sometimes there is nothing wrong with being a collector either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.