Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djshack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I used to use iCloud email, and finally gave up on it. I deleted EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE, emptied the trash, and double-checked on the web interface. Zero messages in iCloud whatsoever.

Yet, my iPhone reports that mail is taking up 54.2 MB of iCloud storage space (same as it was when I had all my email on iCloud).

Has anyone else encountered this? Perhaps Apple doesn't actually delete email immediately, despite me having emptied the trash? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
First, why did you stop using iCloud email? It's the best email service I have used! (I have used hotmail, gmail, mail.com, yahoo, etc.) Try deleting from iCloud.com if you haven't already, if that doesn't work try waiting a few day's it might take a little while to delete. I hope it works for you

djshack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
First, why did you stop using iCloud email? It's the best email service I have used! (I have used hotmail, gmail, mail.com, yahoo, etc.) Try deleting from iCloud.com if you haven't already, if that doesn't work try waiting a few day's it might take a little while to delete. I hope it works for you

I've switched back to Gmail for a variety of reasons, the primary one being that I'm switching to Windows for my primary work computer, and iCloud's website leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I've deleted every single folder and email message in my entire iCloud account, which leads me to believe that there's a delay on Apple's end.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I've switched back to Gmail for a variety of reasons, the primary one being that I'm switching to Windows for my primary work computer, and iCloud's website leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I've deleted every single folder and email message in my entire iCloud account, which leads me to believe that there's a delay on Apple's end.

Ok I see, that makes sense. :) Yeah I think you're right, if it doesn't delete after a few days I would do a restore. (If you don't mind setting everything up again that is) I hope it works for you! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.